carburetors anyone?

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

My question is, 'has anyone fitted carburetors to a V11 and done the necessary advance/ecu/programming (if that's possible) and whether it has been successfull'? I wish it were so!! It would be so easy to get more power and no herky jerky fuel delivery with carburetors. Just like the old one's!

Yes a guy in France did it on one of first v11 and it works :grin: and friend did it on a 1100 Sport IE he retroffited with 42 mm mikuni carbs , work like hell :drink:

I put 41mm keihins on my centauro engine , wich is a 1225cc bore , similar to the MGS.

modification of this engine should be similar to a v11.

no major problems , removed the ecu , fuel pump/filter and a lot of kable .

ignition is integrated in a moto special instrument .

half a day on the dyno to adjust the carburators.

horsepower is the same as with the ecu 122hp on the wheel .

the feeling is completely different , more smoother , no on/of feeling , I am very hapy with the modification.

needs alittle bit more fuel .

G

Marc

By the time you fit the Kliens I think you will find the out of pocket cost is well in excess what an aftermarket ECU or piggback unit will cost you not to metion the alternative electronic ignition and face it you don't want Delorto's. I have Kliens on my carbed 1100 sport yes they work well however round town would never be described as smooth they definatly use more fuel than injected versions of this machine I think the Guzzi's of old are smoother because they didn't have the same emissions to meet but more importantly they had much less aggresive cams and much heavier flywheels and other rotating internals. Kinda like the cali motors you won't get the V11 to run like the older motors the tune of the motor simply won't allow it. Yes it can be done but other than pure asthetics I don't think you will get any benfit from it whatsoever.

By the time you fit the Kliens I think you will find the out of pocket cost is well in excess what an aftermarket ECU or piggback unit will cost you not to metion the alternative electronic ignition and face it you don't want Delorto's. I have Kliens on my carbed 1100 sport yes they work well however round town would never be described as smooth they definatly use more fuel than injected versions of this machine I think the Guzzi's of old are smoother because they didn't have the same emissions to meet but more importantly they had much less aggresive cams and much heavier flywheels and other rotating internals. Kinda like the cali motors you won't get the V11 to run like the older motors the tune of the motor simply won't allow it. Yes it can be done but other than pure asthetics I don't think you will get any benfit from it whatsoever.

I agree that the conversion is not cheap, and of course you can forget meeting todays emissions standards .

But the ride is in my case smoother , I mean more specific the on of reaction if You change the throttle position in a curve (what we are not suppose to do of course) .

The main reason that I did the conversion was asthetics , fits better to the Rossopuro spoken wheels .

The other reasen was that I could not make the Moto special instrument work , the one with the integrated ignition and ecu , so I kept the instrument using only the ignition and put the carburators.

My question is, 'has anyone fitted carburetors to a V11 and done the necessary advance/ecu/programming (if that's possible) and whether it has been successfull'? I wish it were so!! It would be so easy to get more power and no herky jerky fuel delivery with carburetors. Just like the old one's!

It is far more work to convert than to sort out your FI. Then, once you convert you have to sort out the carbs. Makes no sense to me.

:2c:

Guest ratchethack

The grass is always greener on the far side o' th' hill, n'est-ce pas?

Why it seems only yesterday that bit-twiddlers and auto-Techie types were experimenting with band-aiding FI onto formerly carbed bikes in search of freedom from herky jerky fuel delivery and the tedium of juggling jets, taper needles, and slide profiles (been there and done that times too numerous to count -- right up to the present, including on my dual-carbed single, which, like the V-11, ALSO runs like a Champ, BTW). :nerd:

And so it goes . . . :huh2:

All things considered, FI seems without question a positive step along the evolutionary trail . . . but that's just me.

By my experience, a properly mapped, billiard-table smooth power delivery on a V11 is fairly easily achieved, and there's no reason wotsoever to put up with the Herky Jerky, or for that matter -- heaven forfend! :o -- the dreaded Hokey Pokey! :bbblll::lol:

A carb swap on a 15M bike is probably not really a rational option. A 16M is a different story. I considered it a couple of years back for my Daytona and considering all the roads I've been down with the FI I'm sure it is an option. It is interesting to hear the feedback from above about the Centauro. Did you run 2 cables or use a linkage of some sort?

The problem is ignition. The options I saw were Silent Hektik ($), and a modified Dyna for a Harley. Just out of interest, I wonder if Cliff Jefferies's RECIgnition would go on using the same sensor as the ECU? Are there any other options out there?

The carb tuning is apparently not such a big deal. Most carbs set up for a big higher performance twin will run the bike straight away, it's just a matter of fine tuning and there should be plenty of 'old skool' tuners out there who can tune carbs.

So does it look on marcs bike.

DSC_0303.JPG

Marc certainly has one of the nicest and most unique bikes in the "no words" thread here. I'd love to see a few pics of his bike with the Rossopuro wheels.

Marc, do you have any new pictures of your custom Centauro for us? :P:

The grass is always greener on the far side o' th' hill, n'est-ce pas?

All things considered, FI seems without question a positive step along the evolutionary trail . . . but that's just me.

Yeah but... Bernoulli never sleeps! For a daily-ride, stone-axe dead reliable bike, carbs beat the heck out of FI. Electronic ignition is fairly well fettled, so that it is almost worth the added risk vs. electrical systems [points] which are of course, fixable in remote areas where parts supply is non-existent [Can you say Lake Titicaca or Tierra del Fuego? Of course, the pancake alternator is superior to the old hi-mount Ambassador's when v-belts are few & far between & the pantyhose supply is finite... ;)], but F.I. still can't rival carbs for resistance to the slings & arrows of outrageous fortune. Yet.

:nerd:

:luigi:

For a 'one bike, round the world trip' a carb'ed ride is still certainly preferable. Drop it in a creek? Pull the bike to the nearest shore, drain the carbs, & be on your way. FI? So sorry, you're about to be eaten by cannibals... :lol:

Love my V11, but adventure touring is not its forte'!

:mg:

I agree that the conversion is not cheap, and of course you can forget meeting todays emissions standards .

But the ride is in my case smoother , I mean more specific the on of reaction if You change the throttle position in a curve (what we are not suppose to do of course) .

The main reason that I did the conversion was asthetics , fits better to the Rossopuro spoken wheels .

The other reasen was that I could not make the Moto special instrument work , the one with the integrated ignition and ecu , so I kept the instrument using only the ignition and put the carburators.

Got any pics of your Centauro? :pic:

Guest ratchethack

Yeah but... Bernoulli never sleeps! For a daily-ride, stone-axe dead reliable bike, carbs beat the heck out of FI. Electronic ignition is fairly well fettled, so that it is almost worth the added risk vs. electrical systems [points] which are of course, fixable in remote areas where parts supply is non-existent [Can you say Lake Titicaca or Tierra del Fuego? Of course, the pancake alternator is superior to the old hi-mount Ambassador's when v-belts are few & far between & the pantyhose supply is finite... ;)], but F.I. still can't rival carbs for resistance to the slings & arrows of outrageous fortune. Yet.

:nerd:

:luigi:

For a 'one bike, round the world trip' a carb'ed ride is still certainly preferable. Drop it in a creek? Pull the bike to the nearest shore, drain the carbs, & be on your way. FI? So sorry, you're about to be eaten by cannibals... :lol:

Love my V11, but adventure touring is not its forte'!

:mg:

Agreed in full. I wouldn't have FI on my Yammerhammer big single trailie/adventure/dual sport for all the reasons you cite. But then, given the choice at zero additional cost either way (assuming superb, consistent state of tune in each case) I wouldn't have carbs on the V11. Or the cars, for that matter. <_<

I reckon it'll be a long time before there are either V11's or cars at Machu Picchu. . . ;)

And you? :huh2:

The problem is ignition. The options I saw were Silent Hektik ($), and a modified Dyna for a Harley. Just out of interest, I wonder if Cliff Jefferies's RECIgnition would go on using the same sensor as the ECU? Are there any other options out there?

Try a MyECU first.