Test drove a Norge yesterday!

WitchCityBallabio

Guest ratchethack

I'm about 1/3 of the way into the timing cover on the way to replacing the timing chain tensioner.

. . .I'm hoping for a very much improved idle etc.

Carl, I don't want to throw this thread off topic, but per a fairly recent thread on the subject of timing chain tensioners:

1. Did you get a read on the signal scatter with a timing light before concluding your tensioner was at fault?

2. Per your "1/3 of the way there" comment above, have you already verified that the chain was unacceptably loose?

3. Are you replacing a stock chain tensioner? How many miles on the Sporti?

4. With all the Guzzi's you've wrenched on, is this the first tensioner replacement? If so, how d'you account for it?

I'd be very interested in any additional comments, having purchased a tensioner myself, and shortly anticipating a time-slot when I can actually get it installed. :luigi:

Many TIA

If that works okay, I'll probably be swapping out the wiring harness and ECU for ones off of a V11 Sport.

Just curious as to why you'd make that swap? Are the v11 electrics that much better than the Sporti's? I thought they were all wonky, just using different iterations of the Marelli ECU? Please expand upon your decision...

:nerd:

Carl, I don't want to throw this thread off topic, but per a fairly recent thread on the subject of timing chain tensioners:

1. Did you get a read on the signal scatter with a timing light before concluding your tensioner was at fault?

2. Per your "1/3 of the way there" comment above, have you already verified that the chain was unacceptably loose?

3. Are you replacing a stock chain tensioner? How many miles on the Sporti?

4. With all the Guzzi's you've wrenched on, is this the first tensioner replacement? If so, how d'you account for it?

I'd be very interested in any additional comments, having purchased a tensioner myself, and shortly anticipating a time-slot when I can actually get it installed. :luigi:

Many TIA

Well this may be helpful. I had to pull motor and gearbox out of my 1100 sport at 25 000 km's. While we were there we decided to change the chain tensioner as I had heard little good about them. We changed it with an Ago style tensioner the stock tensioner left about 5mm free play in the chain at this distance. At approx 94 000kms we decided to change the timing chain pure because the acepted wisdom from the smug one (roper will make comments on this) was they were good for around 80 000kms the idle was also geting a bit fuffy and variable (1100 sport carbed version). The tensioner had lost it tension and the chain had stretched and the new chain fixed the idle problem athough I think I lost a litttle advance on the upper end of the rev range BTW my bike is ridden in a "Sportsman like manner" on occasions.

I rode a norge last week, and no, I don't think it's a sports bike, but for a fully dressed tourer, it's got more soul then anything else I can think of. And it's not butt-ugly.

Iwill have to fit a mistral on it it ,though. It seems there are 2 types, one slightly quieter then a standard mistral, the other about the same( it's called a bomb,apparently). Mistral reckoned that a normal mistral was a little too loud for a long distance tourer with a big screen. I'd love to hear an opinion from some one who's actually had one fitted.

I'd love to hear an opinion from some one who's actually had one fitted.

A friend of mine has the louder Mistral on his Norge and it sounds great plus it seems to add a little more power compared to my stock Norge. Only problem is the popping at off throttle which is not too bad on the stock bike but quite loud(as in small caliber hand gun loud) with the Mistral. Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution for this problem so until then I will keep with the stock muffler.

t