Can I lacquer my carbon fibre exhaust?

slowkitty

Hiya,

Thinking of applying a nice clear lacquer finish to my stick carbon fibre exhausts of my Scura to offer it some protection. My friend who is helping me with the job says that normal (i.e. non high-temp) lacquer can withstand up to 120 degrees centigrade. If it cannot withstand the heat, then the lacquer coating may either de-laminate or crack.

Question: Anyone knows what is the temp of the carbon fibre? Anyone has a thermometer? Or tried to lacquer it?

Cheers

Cat

Keep it clean & polished by all means, but I don't think lacquer is a good idea TBH.

Firstly, you may get a reaction with the carbon & secondly at working temperatures most lacquers would probably crack, if not from the upper temperature then as is cools to ambient.

A few cycles like that would probably see it crazing.

Nige. B)

go with a high temp clear coat if there is such a thing, I saw a guy with a 2000 mille right next to the same year mille and their carbon fiber bits were like night and day, he told me he had it triple sprayed with top coat to protect it and it looked like NEW. I'm thinking I should do that. :bier:

My riding buddy who builds carbon fiber masts for sailboats uses two-part urethane clear on his parts to prevent UV damage. We are going to try it on a pair of mufflers I just bought. I would expect the urethane to withstand higher temps than laquer. Just don't breathe the spray mist. Joe

That was what set me thinking; if the epoxy used in the CF can withstand the heat, why not the lacquer? Problem is that the original finish seems to be thinning and scuffed, and as the bike is a keeper, I want to protect the pipes in any way I can.

Anyone knows of any ducati bloke who did it on their termis?

Cheers

Cat