Speedo working but not correctly...

RichPugh

So when I bought my bike, the p/o gave me a speedo cable because he figured the reason the speedo was inop was because the cable took a crap like the last one did. Well, at the repair shop, the tech tells me the cable wasnt the problem but instead, some fitting at the gearbox was broken... so they replaced it and the speedo turns now but its WAY off... reading over 100mph when I'm just cruising around 50 and it gets stuck/hung up in mid reading and I can settle the needle when I tap the glass. Whats my next plan of action? Is this typical of a bad speedo? Is the end rounded at the speedo? I'm assuming he used the provided new OEM cable when I had him repair it. I gotta tell you I do NOT want to go back to the same shop for service or repair unless I absolutely HAVE to and there arent any other local places so... trying to figure this one out on my own.

well, I don't know what they replaced in the gearbox, but there is a difference between the gear-ratio betwen the models with veglis tacho and the later ones with black tacho. So maybe they put in wrong parts, and if thet is, it would be solved with the black tacho, or exchanging the gears for the right ones.

The easiest fix (as mine behaves quite similar) is to purchase a Sigma 1606L. Calibrates easily, and provides a legible, accurate speed readout and odometer for less than the cost of a speedo cable (I bought mine after cable #3 crapped out). I'm waiting now on a replacement speedometer to arrive, though once it does my Sigma computer will stay on the bike.

I had a different brand bicycle computer attached for a short while, but it was quickly removed once I discovered that it wouldn't ready any speeds faster than 67 mph.

Once my replacement gauge arrives I'll see what I can do to find out what's going on inside the bad one, and post the results if they are of any interest.