Noobie has questions

Guest ghp542

Guest ghp542

This past Tuesday, I added a 2002 LeMans to the stable. The bike has about 11k miles and seems to run very well. I was told the first owner was a Guzzi tech and tweak the bike. The second owner added Mistral pipes. She sounds very healthy!

I have been riding 28 years and this is my first MG. I have always admired them and wanted to try one and I just happened upon this one. But enough, now on to the questions. Please also understand I did not get any kind of history or manuals with the bike.

As I am approaching 12K miles, I called the dealer to see what a 12K service would run. I was quoted 4-5 hours labor plus parts. Does this seem reasonable.?

I know that MG do have shake, but do they also have a tingle in the bars? Mine has higher aftermarket bars. After the 30 minute ride home from the PO house, the tingle had just about put my hands to sleep. I am defining tingle as the buzz you get from some inline 4 cylinder bikes. My Ducati has some shakes but no tingle.

I am sure I will have more questions as time progresses.

George in TN

This past Tuesday, I added a 2002 LeMans to the stable. The bike has about 11k miles and seems to run very well. I was told the first owner was a Guzzi tech and tweak the bike. The second owner added Mistral pipes. She sounds very healthy!

I have been riding 28 years and this is my first MG. I have always admired them and wanted to try one and I just happened upon this one. But enough, now on to the questions. Please also understand I did not get any kind of history or manuals with the bike.

As I am approaching 12K miles, I called the dealer to see what a 12K service would run. I was quoted 4-5 hours labor plus parts. Does this seem reasonable.?

I know that MG do have shake, but do they also have a tingle in the bars? Mine has higher aftermarket bars. After the 30 minute ride home from the PO house, the tingle had just about put my hands to sleep. I am defining tingle as the buzz you get from some inline 4 cylinder bikes. My Ducati has some shakes but no tingle.

I am sure I will have more questions as time progresses.

George in TN

Welcome!

Can't say if 4-5 hours is too much, but someone else will know.

There'll always be a bit of vibration in the bars (most here have fitted wicked-heavy bar ends with good results), but if it's putting your hands to sleep, it sounds like something is mis-adjusted. When my bike had a bad buzz, it was caused by one of the valves being way, way out of adjustment. When you take the bike in be sure to mention the vibration.

Hey George

Welcome to this collection of Guzzisti. I don't have a maintenance schedule in front of me but if you have no records you may want to change all fluids: oil, trans, bevel drive and forks. Adjust valves and balance throttle bodies. The last two things will almost certainly reduce your vibration. I don't know what book time is for this work but a competent mechanic should be able to do all of it in four hours. If you are inclined to do some or all of it yourself, the bike is very easy to work on and this forum contains all the information & help you might need.

:luigi: