Heated Gloves

joe camarda

I've had several sets of heated grips, but have heard that gloves are much more effective (?)

So I've narrowed my search to these two gloves. Both are non-bulky so as to allow necessary bar-feel. Hopefully, someone here can comment on either of these, or any other electric glove...please :rasta:

Warm & Safe Carbon Gloves

http://www.warmnsafe.com/orderform_ultimat...6287a837f7b3a93

or Gerbing's G-3 Glove

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/glovesg3.html

I have Gerbings. They are no bulkier than most "between season" gloves. However, the heaters are very powerful and you WILL need the Gerbing heat controller unless temperatures are well below zero!

I use the Widder vest and gloves. Quite happy with both. The gloves are bulkier than Gerbings, but that's more insulation, so I appreciate that. I like the heated collar on the vest and the suede on the back of the forefingers for wiping face shield/goggles. I also like the combination of leather palms and fingers for flexibility and Gore Tex fabrid for the rest.

Be sure to get a temperature controller to cut power consumption, especially with the higher power consumption of the Gerbings, if you go that way. Avoid the simple and cheap rheostat controls. The on/off and electronic types waste less power.

Thanks all.

Ryland3210, I noticed that you signature states that you are interested in anything electrical. I envy you 'cause to me electrics is from another planet where they speak foreign languages and such.

Is the "Temperature Controller" offered by Gerbing energy efficient?

I also noticed that you removed your Cafe Sport's fairing and photo'ed it in profile. It looks very nice :thumbsup: much like my Coppa sans fairing.

Joe, the Gerbings heat controller is a pulse width unit. At low heat settings (narrow pulse), it's very energy conservative, as you increase the pulse-width to maximum heat, the energy used becomes pretty much that of a glove plugged directly into the curent source.

Thanks all.

Ryland3210, I noticed that you signature states that you are interested in anything electrical. I envy you 'cause to me electrics is from another planet where they speak foreign languages and such.

Is the "Temperature Controller" offered by Gerbing energy efficient?

I also noticed that you removed your Cafe Sport's fairing and photo'ed it in profile. It looks very nice :thumbsup: much like my Coppa sans fairing.

Callison gave the answer on the Gerbing unit. I agree that it should be efficient. When I looked into that, I could not get an answer on the modulation frequency. Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but with the warnings about sleeping under electric blankets, I did not want to be surrounded by an an inductive field of unknown frequency. Our practice at home is to preheat the bed in winter, use a comforter, and turn off the electric blanket when we get into bed. That wouldn't work on a motorcycle!

My preference is therefore a thermostatic switch that turns on an off at a much lower frequency. It's low tech, and may not be as reliable as an electronic unit, but will be slightly more efficient.

Thanks for the complement on my bike. I took the fairing off because I prefer having the wind hit my chest, rather than focused like a firehose into my face. The fairing was fine at 85 MPH when I ducked under it, but I hardly ever cruise that way. However, when I got the chance, I found that I could cruise comfortably at 90-95 for quite a long time without the benefit of the fairing. I also like the leaner look of the bike. :bier:

I also took off the steering damper and lowered the triple clamps on the fork tubes to speed up the handling.

I tried a set of Knox undergloves but found a) not that warm and B) a lot of arsing about every time you stopped and had to put both pairs back on :moon: . I then bought a pair of Gerbing Classic gloves, these are fine, much warmer and a lot less hassle, they have been used in below zero weather and worked ok. They are even fairly waterproof. I also use a set of BMW handguards from one of the GS range in the winter, by keeping the wet and wind of your hands the gloves have an even better chance. I also have a pair of gerbing socks, they are brilliant, sometimes you have to turn them down as your feet start to cook, definately the best piece of winter clothing I have ever bought.

Gary :drink: