Fork springs

Tom M

Guest ratchethack

It appears to be a Web store-front, with little info, no history of business, and no hints of any kind of anything resembling reputation -- that is, unless a rather anonymous, generic looking photo of Rich Desmond racing at Daytona (!) qualifies. . . :unsure:

Oh yeah. He's evidently one o' those who believes that progressively wound springs are the work o' Beelzebub hisself. . .

NOTE: He uses the usual (IMHO faulty, but leave us not digress too far here -- unless warranted ;) ) objections on his Web site, which (contrary to his observation) counter industry trends of recent decades in the direction of both rising-rate suspensions, and the RISING TREND of progressive-rate springs as the personal choice of riders on both road and track. . . :whistle:

What I will say (again) is wot I've observed over many decades of successfully installing progressive springs in forks -- there seem to be many closed-minded old-timers, particularly around race tracks, who tried and abandoned progressively-wound springs that weren't anywhere near a proper match by rate, evidently having no understanding wotsoever of the importance of matching spring rates and loads. I know of several of these, who thereby "threw out the baby with the bathwater", and have been slamming progressive rate springs ever since with purely ignorant notions of (horrors!) coil-binding -- as if progressive springs weren't designed to coil-bind in the first place, etc. But now I digress. . . :nerd:

NOTE: Again, I believe the differences between straight-rate and progressive springs are overblown. On a rate graph and on road or track, there just ain't that much of a real-world difference anyway. . . :huh2:

At any rate (so to speak :cheese: ) the above may be a perfectly legit, low-overhead way to get a good deal.

OR, it may not. :huh2:

It's times like these that you've gotta ask y'erself, "Do I feel lucky?" :unsure:

Caveat emptor. :whistle:

NOTE: Rich Desmond's name is all over the Web WRT roadracing. Evidently he likes Suzuki... <a href="http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=796227" target="_blank">http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=796227</a> Wot does that mean to someone buying springs on the Web? I reckon it's a matter of choice...:huh2:

I know nothing about this vendor or their products but the price is nice :)

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/index....35a46880b121ae7

Never heard of this guy. I like that he is focusing on one area and has plenty of info on his site. It tells me he has some knowledge in suspension. I don't like that there is no phone or address on the website. I'd want to call before ordering to see what is in stock and how fast they'll ship. Maybe send him an e-mail and see how responsive he is.

Guest Jeff in Ohio

I ordered springs from them (sonic) for my Stone before I sold it. They measured out to the indicated spring rate. Very good price for his springs......

As an aside....if you guys ever need any Ohlins stuff, try this guy......

www.departmentofsuspension.com

I got a Matris fork kit at an amazing price during a spring sale and then 15% off retail for an Ohlins shock for my Yamaha. Great prices. He also set up a friends R6 track bike after he did a full suspension rebuild for him. Very knowledable person. Ohlins sells that evil straight rate stuff so you guys might not be interested. :lol:

I ordered springs from them (sonic) for my Stone before I sold it. They measured out to the indicated spring rate. Very good price for his springs......

I found that vendor on a Kawasaki forum while looking for spring sources for a buddy's bike. FWIW one of the forum members actually worked for Sonic, and all of the members who bought from him and posted to that thread were happy with their purchase.

That said, if I was in the market for V11 springs I'd ask them for their spring OD and length to see how close they are to the stock dimensions, and ask if their springs are shot peened since the other aftermarket spring vendors always tout this feature ( :huh2: ). FYI stock spring length is 295mm/11.61", OD is 30mm/1.18".

I purchased a set of springs from Rich at Sonic Springs (405) 604-7331. He knows what he's doing. Good product, good price, good service, lifetime warranty. I will order from him again.

He probably doesn't feel the need to dress up like a clown to sell his products like one of the more popular spring (suspension) companies. But what do I know, it works for McDonald's.