New York to California

Ryland3210

I'm planning a trip from New York to San Francisco by way of Pittsburgh, Denver, across the Rockies into Utah, and then south to Phoenix for my daughter's wedding before heading across the Sierra's to the west coast.

I'm starting around April 7th, so there will be plenty of climate variation. I've had good luck with a Joe Rocket mesh jacket when it's hot, with waterproof liner when it's wet, and heated vest and gloves under that when it's cold. The variety of products has me befuddled about pants.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

BTW, anyone looking to pass a little time along the way with this die hard rider is welcome to reach out.

Thanks,

John

Wow! Way to goo John, that sounds like a great trip. I have a pair of Olympia all season pants that work really well. The pants have armour and hip pads for protection as well as a wind / waterproof insulated liner. When the liner is removed the pants are mostly a mesh material which allows good airflow for warmer weather riding. I usually wear the mesh outer pants over my jeans in the summer for the protection and use the liner for those really cold days. Price was reasonable as well.

Hal

If Dainese's textile pants are as versatile as their textile jackets, I'd go with that hands down.

I have the 3/4 length gore tex jacket with liner & its perfect in all but hot weather. Even hot weather would be tolerable on the freeway.

The material breathes yet resists letting water in. I guess you'll have to demo one to find out.

If I were traveling across the country in April I'd have the 3/4 jacket & matching pants with heated gloves & socks. You wont need a heated vest or chaps with the liners the dainese come with unless its below freezing temperatures.

Sounds like a great trip. about 15 years ago, I did something similar, covering nearly 30 states. It was from november to march, on a little 535 yamaha virago. Iwent on amore southerly route, basically ny to florida to california. What caught me out was the elevation shifts. you'd b nice and toasty in arizona,say,and a few hours later you,d be freezing your nuts off in new mexico at 6000 feet. I did most of it in a leather jacket and 3 pairs of jeans! I guess you learn from your mistakes.

Sounds like a great trip. about 15 years ago, I did something similar, covering nearly 30 states. It was from november to march, on a little 535 yamaha virago. Iwent on amore southerly route, basically ny to florida to california. What caught me out was the elevation shifts. you'd b nice and toasty in arizona,say,and a few hours later you,d be freezing your nuts off in new mexico at 6000 feet. I did most of it in a leather jacket and 3 pairs of jeans! I guess you learn from your mistakes.

Sounds like you were better prepared than I was on my 450 Honda in my early days of cross country biking. Off we went, two up with full camping gear tied and bungie corded on everywhere possible. On the sides, behind the tallest sissy bar I could find, even on top of the front fender. The bike never missed a beat, from New Jersey to California to Mexico, and back in 20 days. Recommended oil change interval on it was 500 miles back then, which meant it was essentially a daily routine. At the end of riding all day in hot weather, the oil ran out like scalding hot water. Oiling the chain was every other day. The constant velocity carbs did a great job keeping the mixture right across the Rockies as well. Even with all the weight, the little engine that could, easily held cruising speed up the high altitude hills, although I had to drop a gear or two at times.

I had made my own comfort seat (there were no aftermarket seats in those days), and made foam pads to lay my calves on top of the crash bars. For bars, I bent the wide "western" bars of the day back to U-shaped. This combination allowed me to ride almost horizontal, leaning back on my partner, who in turn rested her feet on my pegs and leaned back on the sissy bar. It was really comfortable.

In those days in an America with far more freedom than we have today, it was no problem tent camping for free in rest areas. No rules against it, and no charge. Our routine was two nights camping, one night motel.

To be honest, the only thing missing was better foul weather clothing. Can you imagine!? Ordinary camping rain suits over thermal underwear and jeans. Two days of continuous rain from West Virginia all the way to Kansas, taught me a lesson I also will not forget. Fortunately weather was near perfect for the rest of the journey. The only precipitation was a light dusting of snow during the night we camped at the Grand Canyon.

It was an unforgettable trip I'm looking forward to repeating, but as you say, learning from mistakes made.

My recommendation would be full leathers, a good pair of boots (waterproof) and a quality set of rain gear to go over the leather.

I ride in a short sleeve shirt under my leather jacket (without a liner) down to about 35 degrees in comfort. In the hotter weather, I just open the vents.

My recommendation would be full leathers, a good pair of boots (waterproof) and a quality set of rain gear to go over the leather.

I ride in a short sleeve shirt under my leather jacket (without a liner) down to about 35 degrees in comfort. In the hotter weather, I just open the vents.

In hot weather, I've done pretty well with a mesh armored jacket. In a ride back from Americade on the Thruway in the high 90's, I found it actually cooler than bare skin.

I have the feeling your metabolism is a lot more energetic than mine. Wow! 35 degrees with just leather.

Are you suggesting rain gear with good insulation to make up the difference?

Thanks.

Since you've already got the heated jacket liner why not get the heated pants liner as well. I used them last year on a trip to Oregon in the late fall and with the dual thermostat was comfortable from the low 30's to around 70. Above that they got too warm even turned off.

Hope your trip goes well. should be quite an adventure.

Since you've already got the heated jacket liner why not get the heated pants liner as well. I used them last year on a trip to Oregon in the late fall and with the dual thermostat was comfortable from the low 30's to around 70. Above that they got too warm even turned off.

Hope your trip goes well. should be quite an adventure.

Thanks, Mark. I think I'll take your advice. I have found the heated vest has the advantage of less need to carry bulky insulating clothing on long trips, just in case I need it. With the heated vest over just a warm shirt under a leather jacket, the lowest setting is plenty warm enough at 40, for example. If I get the heated pants, I can leave behind a bulky insulation layer.