3000k RPM cough - missing vacuum hose

El_Gringo

Hi all,

I have had an annoying 'cough' when the bike warms up since I got the bike a year ago. Somtimes it does it more than others. I noticed the rubber hoses connecting the TB to the cyl head looked cracked, so I replaced them. This only seemed to make the problem worse! Having read a thread where someone had a similar problem, I have decided to check the basic set up, TPS and balance the TB's etc......... I should mention, mine came with K&N filters fitted, although i do have the old air box. As I don't have the side panels i thought I'd set it up as standard, if it still coughs, I'd fit the air box, if that fixes it, I'd look for some side panels! - I quite like to look of the K&N's. After reading some set up preceedures posted I have noticed the hose is missing between the two cyl head inlet ports Mine has a screw fitted where it looks like on other bikes a hose should be. What does it do? Should I worry it isn't there?

Answers on a postcard to..........

Hi all,

I have had an annoying 'cough' when the bike warms up since I got the bike a year ago. Somtimes it does it more than others. I noticed the rubber hoses connecting the TB to the cyl head looked cracked, so I replaced them. This only seemed to make the problem worse! Having read a thread where someone had a similar problem, I have decided to check the basic set up, TPS and balance the TB's etc......... I should mention, mine came with K&N filters fitted, although i do have the old air box. As I don't have the side panels i thought I'd set it up as standard, if it still coughs, I'd fit the air box, if that fixes it, I'd look for some side panels! - I quite like to look of the K&N's. After reading some set up preceedures posted I have noticed the hose is missing between the two cyl head inlet ports Mine has a screw fitted where it looks like on other bikes a hose should be. What does it do? Should I worry it isn't there?

When you have pod air filters that will make your bike run more lean. You probably need to adjust for the pod filters & richen the mix a little. I have pods as well & had a similar problem. Tb balance is important but you also have to set the tps higher than you would with the airbox. Others in here can give you specific numbers for the tps setting with your mods.

Hi all,

The nipples on the manifolds near the heads went to the vapor canister. (I'm assuming it has been removed also) You can cap those off at each manifold. Make sure your T-bodies are fitting properly with no vacuum leaks. If you are running K&Ns with stock FI set up things are probably lean, causing your cough. What about the exhaust, is it stock?

Did your t-body sync help? Is your bike equipped with a PC3?

Hi all,

My 2001 Lemans also has the hose connections blanked off, so I assume that's how the UK (EURO ?) bikes are.

I have looked at the parts manual and the hose in question is not there, but the screws whick blank off the inlet manifolds on my bike are shown instead, so I guess it is not needed on my bike?! When others have balanced their TB's, did you have this hose? If not, how did you attach the vacuum gauges? I didn't see any nipples in the parts manual for this purpose.

When I bought the bike it had Quill race cans fitted and the guy gave me the original, unused cans. I fitted the standard ones as the R/C's were far too loud for the quite street I live in! I don't know if there has been any remapping done, I am guessing it has a standard ECU. I though about cheating the TPS, but of course the ignition profile will also be affected. Perhaps I should just refit the air box and be done with it!

Cheers

:bier:

I have looked at the parts manual and the hose in question is not there, but the screws whick blank off the inlet manifolds on my bike are shown instead, so I guess it is not needed on my bike?! When others have balanced their TB's, did you have this hose? If not, how did you attach the vacuum gauges? I didn't see any nipples in the parts manual for this purpose.

When I bought the bike it had Quill race cans fitted and the guy gave me the original, unused cans. I fitted the standard ones as the R/C's were far too loud for the quite street I live in! I don't know if there has been any remapping done, I am guessing it has a standard ECU. I though about cheating the TPS, but of course the ignition profile will also be affected. Perhaps I should just refit the air box and be done with it!

Cheers

:bier:

Lets see...you had race cans on the bike & pod filters. We dont know if the previous owner got the tps setting right when he did those mods. Then you switch back to stock cans without calibrating for that. The good news is that you almost surely have an easily correctible problem that can be solved by you. If you want a really good running bike take it to a Guzzi shop where they have the computer that connects to the ecu for a perfect tune up.