Was coughing,now screeming!

El_Gringo

Started the bike yesterday and the starter made a very odd mechanical screech!

On investigation 3 of the magnets in the starter motor have come loose, no problem I'll glue them back.....

But I can't get the rotor out to clean up the inside of the body before I glue the magnets in place.

Anyone done this before?

El G, I've had a bunch of starters apart, but not the MG unit. Looking at parts schematic H11 for the V11 Lemans (thoughtfully provided by MPH on this website), I recommend the following:

1) remove starter

2)remove all starter externals

3)remove starter nose housing (should be three bolts)...you will have to free the starter drive lever arm from the starter drive as you pull the nose free

4)remove the wire "C" ring under the protective cup on the end of the starter shaft and slide off the starter drive

5)you've already looked in the back end (motor) of the starter and know you need to remove the brushes to make the repairs...

6)it looks to me (using the drawing) that the rotor will slide out the rear of the housing after removing the brush kit/mounts AND after removing the remaining larger "C" clip on the starter shaft...that should be located against the forward bearing/bushing face aft of the guide/drive teeth on the shaft for the starter drive. Remove the large "C" clip and carefully slide the rotor out...avoid banging up the rotor or field internals if you can.

Recommend you take a look at this drawing, but I think this will get you on your way. Starters are pretty durable and assuming there was not a total meltdown, your should be able to replace the brushes and get it going again...note that there is a brush kit listed on this schematic...I recommend you go with new brushes if you can lay hands on a set. Hope this helps. k

• 3 weeks later...

Hi one and all.........

I have now fixed the starter motor and I came up against a wierd one. The magnets had come off so I tracked a new housing complete with magnets from Woods Auto in the UK. Unfortunatly, they sent me a Clockwise housing and I needed an Anticlockwise one. They sent me the correct one and I'm back on the road! Note the anti clock housing I bought has the new clips to hold the magnets in place, £12 well spent! - A new starter motor is £240

So an easy fix, just remember to be sure they give you an ANTI-clock housing!

Cheers