Import/export question, again

dlapierre

Couple of years ago, I successfully exported an '03 V11 Sport from the USA into Canada. Was a good deal and everything went well. I want to do it again, and combine a flight south to visit family in Tucson with a bike purchase and a ride back.

Looking at the list of bikes permitted to be exported to Canada, I see nothing is listed for Moto Guzzi's beyond 2005 models.

So, my question is: Has anyone exported a newer Guzzi from the USA than a 2005 model?

I'm asking because the online list provided by the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles states that it is up to the manufacturer to provide the Registrar the essential information showing the bike meets both US and Canadian standards, and I'm seeing more than one make of bike where that information is not being provided. This suggests to me that manufacturers are withholding the information in order to discourage what has become a pretty good deal for the ambitious individual and protect Canadian dealerships, mostly because individual Canadians can get better prices on vehicles in the US than in Canada. That, or all Guzzis made since 2005 are inadmissable, which makes absolutely no sense. The same makes and models are available here as are in the USA, but for more money.

I already tried to query the Moto Guzzi USA website about this, but it came back with a notice that the site is down for a while.

Looking at the list of bikes permitted to be exported to Canada, I see nothing is listed for Moto Guzzi's beyond 2005 models.

So, my question is: Has anyone exported a newer Guzzi from the USA than a 2005 model?

I'm asking because the online list provided by the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles states that it is up to the manufacturer to provide the Registrar the essential information showing the bike meets both US and Canadian standards, and I'm seeing more than one make of bike where that information is not being provided. This suggests to me that manufacturers are withholding the information in order to discourage what has become a pretty good deal for the ambitious individual and protect Canadian dealerships, mostly because individual Canadians can get better prices on vehicles in the US than in Canada. That, or all Guzzis made since 2005 are inadmissable, which makes absolutely no sense. The same makes and models are available here as are in the USA, but for more money.

I remember reading something about when Piaggio took over the importation of Guzzis to USA from MGNA, that there was some flap over no more Guzzis for Canada because the existing importer was being cut out (I presume w/ the expectation by Piaggio that they were also going to handle that market from their New York HQ.) I don't know if that ever got resolved: are post-'05 Guzzi models available there at all? You could try contacting Piaggio USA and see if they can provide that information.

Best of luck, & keep everyone here informed of your success...

Ride on!

:mg:

I remember reading something about when Piaggio took over the importation of Guzzis to USA from MGNA, that there was some flap over no more Guzzis for Canada because the existing importer was being cut out (I presume w/ the expectation by Piaggio that they were also going to handle that market from their New York HQ.) I don't know if that ever got resolved: are post-'05 Guzzi models available there at all? You could try contacting Piaggio USA and see if they can provide that information.

Best of luck, & keep everyone here informed of your success...

Ride on!

:mg:

To answer your question, yes, the same Guzzis that are available in the US are available in Canada: Breva's, 1200 Sports, California's, the works. And there is no difference in specifications that I can see. What I think it is, is privatized protectionism. Where Yamaha, Suzuki, HD's, Triumphs and Ducatis, to name a few have no restrictions, and if I want to buy and ride one those back, I can, no problem, relatively speaking. But, BMW does, Guzzi does and so do a few others. With BMW, you have to pay them a fee to get a recall letter, something that one was able to get for free two years ago.

I'll maybe send Piaggio USA a letter to see what have to say.

To answer your question, yes, the same Guzzis that are available in the US are available in Canada: Breva's, 1200 Sports, California's, the works. And there is no difference in specifications that I can see. What I think it is, is privatized protectionism. Where Yamaha, Suzuki, HD's, Triumphs and Ducatis, to name a few have no restrictions, and if I want to buy and ride one those back, I can, no problem, relatively speaking. But, BMW does, Guzzi does and so do a few others. With BMW, you have to pay them a fee to get a recall letter, something that one was able to get for free two years ago.

I'll maybe send Piaggio USA a letter to see what have to say.

You've hit the nail right on the head!! You can add Honda to this list as well, both bikes and cars. And Mercedes. Bastards.

You may want to talk to Moto International. The owner [ can't believe I've forgotten his name] has family in Victoria B.C., and he had a way of importing M.G. into Canada way before they were importing them in Canada, before 1999.

Ciao, Steve