Installed New Cannisters (ART), Beautiful

joe camarda

I managed to mount a set of ART CF, oval cannisters from an RC51 onto my 04 Coppa. I simply slipped them onto the existing mid-pipes which I believe were part of the MG Ti set up. I'll post some photos of them soon, as they really are beautiful...a work of art you might say :nerd: They sound like music, even deeper and louder than the MG Ti pipes they replaced.

The MG Ti cannisters slipped onto the mid-pipes approx 1.75 inches, the ARTs only about 1 inch. The joint seems leak proof though, and solid enough.

But heres my frustation (sorry to have kept you waiting with baited breath :glare: )

The ART cannisters set at different angles from each other, AND the left one (when viewing from the rear) is about 2 inches closer to the edge of the wheel.

I suspect this has something to do with the Fast by Farracci crossover which I installed at the same time I lowered the MG Ti pipes last year. The Ti pipes also appeared lop-sided, but not to the extent that the ARTs are.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm considering switching crossovers. Stucchi? Mistral? Any ideas?

It sounds to me like you may have mixed up the two stub pipes from the ti kit. If you look at them closely you will see that they aren't the same. The right side pipe has more offset to clear the driveshaft.

Of course :nopic: Let's see those works of ART!

.... I'm considering switching crossovers. Stucchi? Mistral? Any ideas?

I'd go back to the original one. Your cans will sound even deeper with it, less loud and top end will become better.

Hubert

As already said, check to see if you swapped the inlet pipes. Then, experiement with rotating the inlet pipes for fine positioning of the mufflers. Because of the assymetrical swingarm, the mufflers will not be perfectly symmetrical to each other. Different crossovers give different power characteristics. I use a Mistral becuase it really smooths out the power delivery below 4,000 rpm ( I commute in city traffic a lot more than I am WFO on twisty roads) and allows me to have a centerstand, which I will not do without.

Thanks all for replies and advice.

I checked to see if I had mixed L and R mid pipes. Unless I am overlooking something obvious (and that has happeded before) it seems to be impossible to confuse the two sides as the crossover slips inside the front end of the midpipe and the cannister slips outside the rear of the mid-pipe. If switched the pipes would stick out at nearly right angles to the bike.

Anyway, I dissassembled the rear end, from the crossover back, and then reassembled it using a longer length spacer (between the footpeg hanger and the cannister clamp) on the left side.

I also removed the MG luggage rack. I think the MG rack was to a great extent the cause of the pipes imbalance. If you look at my avatar photo you can see the rack. It is not obvious in the avatar, but the rack is not perpendicular to the centerline of the bike.

I recalled that in order to install the rack I had to forcibly twist it in order to align the mounting holes to the upper end of the rear footpeg hangers. When I did get the rack mounted, the left footpeg hanger did not stick out as much as the right hanger. And of course the pipes mount to the lower end of the footpeg hangers. After I removed the rack I examined it and it is obvious that the left and right side are of slightly different lengths, see photo below.

Anyway here are 'after' some photos. Unfortunately I didnt take any 'before' photos.

MG_Rack_crooked.jpg

Well I'm having trouble uploading more than one photo, here's another one or two.

Those are quite sharp looking, aren't they? Good job!

Lookin' good! I found with mine, there are so many degrees of freedom it can drive you crazy. Just when you get the side to side correct, the up and down is wrong! I finally got mine right but it wasn't easy. How do they sound? Joe