Bringing used Guzzis in Cal question

Guest Guzzi-less

Guest Guzzi-less

What's the deal on bringing a used Guzzi into California? California requires used vehicles to have no less than 7500 miles on them before they can be registered. It's a smog thing, to prevent people from buying new out of state vehicles that aren't CA smog legal. Yeah, I know that sucks, but it is what it is.

Are all Guzzi's already smog legal in CA? Do they all have the evap canister and meet other smog regs?

Reason I ask is I see a used V11 in SF, owner says it was brought in from Washington state, has only 1390 miles on it, and he has Cal title in hand.

On SF craigslist

Guest Guzzi-less

:homer:

I didn't think the seller would be so prompt in replying (I had left a message thru craigslist).

He says 2004 V11s are all already CA smog legal, there's a compliance sticker on the rear hugger, and it is low mileage Cal registered.

I asked this of Todd (MPH), and understood him to say that at least from '02 onwards the LeMans variants were 50 state bikes. While this means they all originally had cannisters and would pass smog. For California folks this is helpful because it reduces the premium we sometimes face. That said, there are a considerable number of bikes currently registered that may no longer have evaporative cannisters, and have been retrofit with Power Commanders. Given the probability of a physical inspection I'd be sure to have parts on hand in case one did occur. My bike was previously registered in Ca, so I am not speaking from direct experience and defer to others.

I talked to the guy also re the bike... suggested he advertise it here.

I dont think that you would have any problem registering it here in CA. If the cannisters are gone (which I doubt) you would be welcome to borrow mine.

I don't think you'd have any problem getting it registered here. I bought my '02 Scura on Ebay from Dallas TX with only 1596 miles on it, had it shipped here and got it registered without a hitch in 2005.

The 7500 mile thing is used on newer vehicles to prevent under taxing by DMV.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Guest Guzzi-less

Thanks all for responding. Doesn't look like there's a problem.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about getting this bike right now, but it's good to know I can reg low mileage California machines.

Dennis