Coppa Full Fairing Design Help?

Greg Field

I've been slaving like, well, a slave to get a Lemans fairing fitted to my Ballabio, so I can get it painted to complement the rest of the Coppa Italia paint scheme that it wears.

The fairing parts were assembled from bits pulled from three different crashed LeManses (all of three different years, with subtle differences on each) and are being grafted onto a bike that was also crashed, which meant I had to repair the fairing mounts on the Ballabio frame. I did that last Sunday. The result is, it's a hell of a lot of work to get everything to line up. I've had to tweak and bend brackets slightly enlarge holes, etc. to get it all to work together. I also made cutouts in the fairing to allow me to keep the aftermarket crashbars I have on the bike.

But, I think it was worth it all. Even without a repaint, the fairing half from an '02 red and gray LeMans matches perfectly and looks great. I've sort of worked out how to integrate the full fairing with the Coppa paint scheme, but if anybody can offer suggestions about how I might make it better, I'd like to hear them.

PICT0004.jpg

Here's what it looks like. The blue tape is to help me decide where the red will transition to silver (and vice-versa) and where the green stripes will be. The two outer stripes on the side of the fairing define the boundaries of the silver panel. Fore and aft of the silver panel, the fairing will be red. That silver panel'll also have a green stripe, to continue the line of the green stripe off of the tank. I will not have a green stripe at the front end of the silver panel, or that's the plan for now anyway.

PICT0009.jpg

The bulk of the rest of the fairing will be red, but with a silver panel in the very center of the fairing above and below the headlight.

PICT0008.jpg

The blue tape here sort of defines the boundaries of the silver area. Everything to the center of the tape will be silver but will also have a green stripe along each edge and a red oval in the center, above the headlight, matching the ones on the tank.

PICT0010.jpg

I'll also paint the tailpiece red along the sides back to the point at which the lines sweeping down off of the rear seatcover define a change from red to silver and the green stripe. The back end will be silver with a red oval guzzi logo matching that on the gas tank.

Any ideas on how to better the design?

Looking good there Greg! I can sympathize with you on the bending and fitting of damaged pieces I went through that process as well. IMHO I would not do the stripes on the side of the fairing unless of course you're covering up some scuffs or something. I like the outline in the front but have the feeling the sides might be to much, but to each his own if you like it thats what really counts. I love that Coppa color scheme!

Hal

Greg: I was thinking your idea for the airing was getting a bit complex. On seeing Rocker59's, I think his is a cleaner approach. My :2c:

But I am arguably not an artiste, or if so, my medium is lately sheetrock. But I know what I like when I see it. Perhaps you should go with your plan in any case, its not as if there is an official "half-faired" Billybob. Why should there be two alike?

Greg: I was thinking your idea for the airing was getting a bit complex. On seeing Rocker59's, I think his is a cleaner approach. My :2c:

But I am arguably not an artiste, or if so, my medium is lately sheetrock. But I know what I like when I see it. Perhaps you should go with your plan in any case, its not as if there is an official "half-faired" Billybob. Why should there be two alike?

:stupid:

BTW, those gold forks are going to clash. I'll trade you a nice pair of black ones for them :P

Thanks for the suggestions. The others're very nice. I want to maximize the red area, though, so that's why I'm doing it differently. I am a sucker for red . . .

I agree with you on the red Greg. My two cents is you shouldnt use any silver at all & just put the green stripes in the taped areas. ;)

Guest NotRight

This is fantastic work. Its going to be a great machine indeed!

I've also been looking to add some kind of fairing to my cafe sport. I wasn't sure if the standard 04 cafe sport handlebars would have clearance problems with the LeMans fairing. I guess this is proof it can work!

I've always liked the LeMans fairing.

For me though, I'm curious about seeing what a buffalo police fairing would look like but I can't photo-chop very well.

Antonio...that is a very nicely done-up Coppa. Anyone know which front fender that is?

It's very similar to the fender from an '04 and later RSV (that Coppa has been upgraded with radial brakes) with Ohlins, such as the 04-06 Factory or any of the 07 and later machines. For your bike, with non-radial calipers, you need the fender from an 00-03 Mille R. That fender is shown on my bike.