Which Ohlins fit a Sport 1100i/V11 Sport?

callison

Carl,

The only Ohlins that I know will work are only the ones that were made for the Guzzi's. The Guzzi uses 54mm diameter clamps and the Ducati super bikes use 53mm. The superbike forks are also WAY too short for the Guzzi as well as the spring rate. Another problem with fitting forks from a different bike is when it comes to mounting the wheel and brake calipers. The Guzzi fork spacing is different than the Duc's which makes the rotors not line up with the calipers. Don't ask me how I know :homer:

What bike are you wanting to put the Ohlins on? Perhaps contact reboot spares and perhaps RacerX about other alternatives.

Mike

If I go looking for a used set of Ohlins, which ones would I look for? Ducati 748/916? I realize nothing is a straight bolt-on but I'm sure that someone in here has at least a few answers.

The only one long enough is the v11 one, the fg313. That one slips in. For all others, beside they are 4cm shorther, the triples won't fit.

But you were in no hurry you told me? I already found two sets, new, but still to expensive. have to negotiate about them.

Antonio currently has an ad for Ohlins forks in Classifieds:

"Standard fork for the V11.

price 1000,- Eur Shipping not included "

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12846

I put a set of WP's on FrankenSport (got'em from Reboot Guzzi Spares) for quite a bit less than he or anyone else as available in WP's or Marzocchi's at the moment. I sold Mike Stewarts old V11 forks last year for about $375 - and that's about what I figure those forks are worth. But I digress. The WP's on FrankenSport rusted out, blew seals etc after I gave the bike to my son - it seems they had never been serviced and probably sat out in the fine old English rain more than once. He's having a bit of a problem finding a complete set of replacement parts. The forks on my Sport 1100i (Bugswatter) are fine having been rebuilt a few years back and the bike having been inside ever since. I'm sure they could use new fluid but are not likely to require anything else. So... if I can find a set of Ohlins for the Sport 1100i, I'll take those WP's and send them to my son. I was hoping for something on this side of the pond but now that I know that the Ohlins for MG's are a very specific model I think I'll contact Antonio.

Carl,

Here are some stock forks on ebay in Europe: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gabel-Marzocchi-Moto...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is much easier to get a stock fork to replace it with compaired to taking a fork from a different brand and machining spacers so they fit the triple clamps and then shimming the calipers so they have the correct clearence for the rotors. I went the Aprilia RSVR route and after much work the fork was just a tad too short. Yep, I went with the Ohlins after all that :homer:

Mike

I put a set of WP's on FrankenSport (got'em from Reboot Guzzi Spares) for quite a bit less than he or anyone else as available in WP's or Marzocchi's at the moment. I sold Mike Stewarts old V11 forks last year for about $375 - and that's about what I figure those forks are worth. But I digress. The WP's on FrankenSport rusted out, blew seals etc after I gave the bike to my son - it seems they had never been serviced and probably sat out in the fine old English rain more than once. He's having a bit of a problem finding a complete set of replacement parts. The forks on my Sport 1100i (Bugswatter) are fine having been rebuilt a few years back and the bike having been inside ever since. I'm sure they could use new fluid but are not likely to require anything else. So... if I can find a set of Ohlins for the Sport 1100i, I'll take those WP's and send them to my son. I was hoping for something on this side of the pond but now that I know that the Ohlins for MG's are a very specific model I think I'll contact Antonio.

Carl,

Here are some stock forks on ebay in Europe: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gabel-Marzocchi-Moto...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is much easier to get a stock fork to replace it with compaired to taking a fork from a different brand and machining spacers so they fit the triple clamps and then shimming the calipers so they have the correct clearence for the rotors. I went the Aprilia RSVR route and after much work the fork was just a tad too short. Yep, I went with the Ohlins after all that :homer:

Mike

They're useable, but you have to leave about two inches of the V11 LeMans fork tubes sticking up past the triple clamp. I put Al Roethlisberger's old forks on FrankenSport after the wreck and didn't like them so I picked up your re-valved stock V11 Sport fork in a trade but I already had the (spare-trashed) WP's in the garage so I used those for the reincarnation of the bike. I sold yours last year to get them out of the shed. At this point, I'm just going to go with Ohlins. I'm fed up with WP, their support is worse than MG's.

The Ohlins I believe came on the 2002 and newer bikes, you will have the same problem with having about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of fork sticking out of the top of the triple clamp. You will also have to go with a different front fender with the Ohlins forks. I do believe the brake calipers mounting spacing is different between your Sporti (40mm) and newer bikes (65mm). If you have to change calipers, don't forget that the caliper brake lines will also have to be changed due to the different design. One last thing, the Ohlins forks also came with two different axles, the solid type should be a easy change over, if you get one with the hollow axle, you will need to change your front wheel bearings and spacer. Nothing is straight forward when it comes to Guzzies :P

MIke

They're useable, but you have to leave about two inches of the V11 LeMans fork tubes sticking up past the triple clamp. I put Al Roethlisberger's old forks on FrankenSport after the wreck and didn't like them so I picked up your re-valved stock V11 Sport fork in a trade but I already had the (spare-trashed) WP's in the garage so I used those for the reincarnation of the bike. I sold yours last year to get them out of the shed. At this point, I'm just going to go with Ohlins. I'm fed up with WP, their support is worse than MG's.

I do still have 2 red calipers (Appi RSVmille = 65mm) for sale after I changed to triple bridge calipers.

They have brandnew braking pads.

The brake-lines won't have to be changed. It's not really perfect fitting but it works.

The Ohlins I believe came on the 2002 and newer bikes, you will have the same problem with having about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of fork sticking out of the top of the triple clamp. You will also have to go with a different front fender with the Ohlins forks. I do believe the brake calipers mounting spacing is different between your Sporti (40mm) and newer bikes (65mm). If you have to change calipers, don't forget that the caliper brake lines will also have to be changed due to the different design. One last thing, the Ohlins forks also came with two different axles, the solid type should be a easy change over, if you get one with the hollow axle, you will need to change your front wheel bearings and spacer. Nothing is straight forward when it comes to Guzzies :P

MIke

Things just keep getting better and better don't they...

The only one long enough is the v11 one, the fg313. That one slips in. For all others, beside they are 4cm shorther, the triples won't fit.

But you were in no hurry you told me? I already found two sets, new, but still to expensive. have to negotiate about them.

Not a gigantic hurry. The Bugswatter will probably be stripped down for a new paint job soon so if I wind up sending the forks to my son in the interim, I won't be missing much. I have the Norge as my main ride now. The Sport 1100i has only been ridden at most 300 miles since 2001.