Hugger for Sport 1100

JFK

I am interested in replacing the rear fender on my Sport 1100 with a hugger (and some sort of panel underneath the rear section of the bike).

Has anyone done this, or can you refer me to an aftermarket product? I have googles and searched this site but post-v11 bikes only seem to be catered for.

Any help appreciated...

JFK

Guest ratchethack

JFK, I can't be sure from your post if you have a V11-type stock hugger in place, nor do I understand what the 1100 Sport came with?? If you're looking for an "extension" to a V11 stock hugger to provide protection against road debris and the usual crud flung by the rear wheel on the gearbox, shock, and surrounding area through the wide open area at the front of the stock hugger, there are several alternatives depending on objectives. may I suggest a functional and well-crafted piece, widely known in the best circles as The Edge Guard. See discussion here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4893

Or, for a crude and truly tasteless, yet entirely unseen, and vastly more functional, fully tested alternative (over three years of faithful service with nary a hitch), see my version (poorly known, even in the most questionable of circles as The Bodge Guard) at post #60 on p. 4 in the same thread. ;)

Pratt Lay in the UK used to have carbon huggers for the Sport 1100. www.prattlay.co.uk

As for fender eliminator kits, I've never seen one for the Sport 1100. If someone made one, I'm sure they aren't anymore.

Keep in mind that there were not really a lot of Sport 1100s produced, so aftermarket stuff is going to be rare and relatively hard to find.

Just like for the V11-series, many products are made in short runs and by special order.

Good luck with your project.

I bought a CF hugger from Stein-Dinse in Germany. I don't like CF and it was damn expensive (about 200 euro IIRC) but they couldn't deliver the plastic one. Even the CF one took half a year to deliver.

Then I bought a black plate bracket that was made for some kind of Suzuki or something. Amazingly it happened to have holes fitting everything: Four holes for mounting to existing screws, the indicators fit to it, and even the reflector between the plate and the tail light fit without drilling. The original plate light works as intended. It's like it is made for this, except the angle of the plate was too upright so I had to fix that with small bits of a pipe cut in an angle and used as washers behind the plate. My english limits a better description :P

I kept the OEM rear fender but cut away all of it that was visible. This way it still protects the bottom of the rear section.

The result is just perfect, in my own opinion B) . A friend of mine found the plate bracket so he gets the credit for that. He didn't keep the original fender but used some sort of rubber mat tied up to the rear sub frame.

I'll try to produce some pictures.

1.jpg

This is with hugger and ugly OEM fender.

2.jpg

This is after fender is cut down to invisible. Hard to see, er, but there is nothing to see! It's just gone.

3.jpg

Reflector, indicators, plate light just fits like it was OEM (personally I don't like tiny LED indicators). I photochopped[tm] the registration number a little in this pic B)

4.jpg

All mounting holes in this Suzuki bracket just happened to fit! Here you can see my not very straight cut of the fender, but it can't be seen at all from normal angles.

5.jpg

I cut it down just so the original mounts was still there. Note the triangular area where the damper satellite is mounted, that hole being opened makes a lot to the bikes look! Not so much from this particular angle though :P

1.jpg

This is with hugger and ugly OEM fender.

2.jpg

This is after fender is cut down to invisible. Hard to see, er, but there is nothing to see! It's just gone.

3.jpg

Reflector, indicators, plate light just fits like it was OEM (personally I don't like tiny LED indicators). I photochopped[tm] the registration number a little in this pic B)

4.jpg

All mounting holes in this Suzuki bracket just happened to fit! Here you can see my not very straight cut of the fender, but it can't be seen at all from normal angles.

5.jpg

I cut it down just so the original mounts was still there.

Hi Raz

Thanks heaps for the pics ... looks great!

Not sure I want to cut up the original fender though :o

I'm going to look into Greg's units (above), and have a think about alternatives for the fender.

JFK

I am interested in replacing the rear fender on my Sport 1100 with a hugger (and some sort of panel underneath the rear section of the bike).

Has anyone done this, or can you refer me to an aftermarket product? I have googles and searched this site but post-v11 bikes only seem to be catered for.

Any help appreciated...

JFK

Thunderbikes in Perth can get fibreglass rear huggers as well he probally has one in stock but I can't garentee it (08) 93791991. No Undertails avalible for the 1100 sport to the best of my knowledge Stien Denise used to do alternative entire tail sections but they were mucho dollars.

Not sure I want to cut up the original fender though :o

I'm like that too so I bought a spare one from Reboot Guzzi Spares. Likewise with the airbox lid before I cut holes in it, and the downpipe before I welded in a lambda sensor... I will never get use for them but somehow it's nice to know I can make the bike a pristine original again. Especially in 25 years from now...

I'd sure like to know the part number of model of bike that bracket came from.

That is the cleanest Sport 1100 rear fender mod I've ever seen !!!

I'd do mine if I could find that light mounting bracket !!!

I'd sure like to know the part number of model of bike that bracket came from.

That is the cleanest Sport 1100 rear fender mod I've ever seen !!!

I'd do mine if I could find that light mounting bracket !!!

Hey, I found the receipt, it says GSX600R/750R 2004-2005. But it is aftermarket, I don't know more than that. It MAY be made by a company called Kellermann. I do have a part number but that is just for this local distributor in Sweden.

Anyway maybe that will get you started. The bolt holes that fit to the tool tray and rearmost fender mounts/tail light should be OK even if you find a slightly different product, I guess.

The plate holder came with an additional X bracket that supports the whole plate but it was too large for our stylish Swedish plates and as you see in the picture my plate is fine with just the upper mounts.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be Kellermann, their's is here but it doesn't look like mine at all.

I have two of them in stock at Moto International. They're made of fiberglass, and lok great once installed, but they are unpainted.

Greg

Is this the same or similar shape as the hugger RAZ shows on his 1100 Sport and will it fit a V11 LeMans? I have been looking for a hugger so I can get rid of the OEM shroud while protecting the engine/shock as Ratchet describes. Photos would be great if available.

Thanks

I'm sorry, but I can't really tell from the photos if the one we have is similar to the one shown. The one we have was made for the Sport 1100. It might fit the V11 LeMans, maybe requiring some fitting. I just can't be sure, though, because I've never tried it.

300011520.jpg

This is the bare hugger. It's listed as a Daytona hugger at Stein-Dinse where I bought mine. They don't have them in stock and you'll never know with Stein-Dinse if they will be able to deliver at all.

http://www.sd-tec.de/catalog/advanced_sear...words=300011520

It's €270 now including tax, damn expensive. There is another type at http://www.sd-tec.de/catalog/advanced_sear...words=300001032 that is only €73 but you'll have to paint it. And that too is marked as red ie. not in stock (and not necessarily deliverable at all)

• 2 months later...
3.jpg

Reflector, indicators, plate light just fits like it was OEM (personally I don't like tiny LED indicators).

A little update: a fellow Guzzista made me aware there is clear-glass tail lights and indicator lenses available for Ducati Monster and 998 that fits the Sporti:

6.jpg

Now enough of this cosmetic crap. This is a steam train, remember? :oldgit: