Tire recommendations?

jhh

Well, I picked up my '04 V11 on Saturday, and after a ~550 mile drive down Natchez Trace I just got back - and the rear tire (stock Metzeler, 3100 miles on it) more or less disintegrated about half a mile from home. I'm not quite sure what happened to it, as it only had a minor flat spot when I picked it up, and it had acceptable pressure (36 pounds). It had been wearing quite rapidly before that.

I know there have been other tire threads here in the past, but I couldn't really get an idea of what the best choice is. The Conti Road Attacks seemed to have a good review, but that was two years ago. What's the popular choice these days for a general all around / touring tire? I rarely drive fast so I don't need super sticky ones, and the rock hard ones that don't grip / last forever aren't a good idea either.

Suggestions, anyone?

What's the popular choice these days for a general all around / touring tire? I rarely drive fast so I don't need super sticky ones, and the rock hard ones that don't grip / last forever aren't a good idea either.

Suggestions, anyone?

Many here really like the Pirrelli Diablo Strada's. Seem to give positive feedback, "sticky" enough for spirited street use, very confident in rain and good balance between life and grip in general. A check of previous tire threads will bring forth a multitude of opinions, but you seem aware of what's about to come... :o

My two TOP recommendations for the V11 are as follows the Pirelli Strada or if your roads a litle sketchy or you like a occasional dirt road but still get REALLY good grip on the road and rain is the Pirelli Scorpion Sync, same tires they use on the XB9 city, Buell Ulysses and apparently the Stelvio, worked great for me so far as the life on them has been really good and the grip has been great, they don't lean in as easy as the dragons that were on it(obviously) but for my mostly flat roads I'm happy.

DSC_3006.jpg

DSC_3004.jpg

here's how they look after about 6k miles, maybe 7? only a small flat spot has developed in the back probably time for new rubber after this season. (that shiny part was right after I did a mini burn out, you know to scrub in the tires and such) ^_^

My stock M1s were shot after 4500 miles, the M3s went another couple hundred miles beyond the M1s, and the Z6s have about 4k on them now and are just beginning to show some flattening down the middle. They aren't as sticky as the M1/M3 but good enough for me. I also dropped down to a 170 rear profile. It really lets the bike lean quick. Cheapest thing you can do to improve handling. Sorry, I only have experience with Metzelers so far.

Dave

I'm running Metzeler Z6 Roadtec, sister tire to the Pirelli Diablo Strada.

They last between 6k and 7k miles for me. Handling and grip is really nice for a Sport-Touring tire.

97018572_L2dbp-M.jpg

Guest ratchethack
I'm running Metzeler Z6 Roadtec, sister tire to the Pirelli Diablo Strada.

They last between 6k and 7k miles for me. Handling and grip is really nice for a Sport-Touring tire.

Wot Rocker said in spades, with bells on. :thumbsup:

JHH, particularly for your objectives, if you're interested in a further exploration of riders' reviews of these and other sport/touring tires from last September, as well as my own shamelessly well-biased personal choice and justifications for that choice (including a competitive ranking from MOTORRAD) -- more food for thought here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry128685

From what I read they're all good. :)

People are real happy with the Mettz Z6s. I liked mine well enough.

The Pirelli...I would imagine they're pretty good.

My long ridding Beemer friends like the Michelin Pilot whatever (Road?).

I'm on my 4th set of Contis. They've never done anything stupid.

I think they all get about 7Kmi. I'm waiting on a ride report on

GT Johnny's new Avons.

The one tire I hear dissed a lot is the BT 020

Never tried 'em...probably never will.

I just want one as good as any of the aforementioned

that gets more like 10Kmi.

I ain't that fussy but I surely hate changing tires.

Ha! :P

I can join the chorus on the Pirelli Stradas. Great all round tire, big improvement over the stock Bridgestones.

I put on the 170 back tire because the 180 was not part of the 2 for one last year when they were introduced. The 170 has different feel but very acceptable - quicker turn in but feels like the back end is lower.

Enjoy!

A friend of mine runs Metzeler Marathons on his Sprint RS. HE rides 2-up a lot and will run away from a lot of squids in the twisties. The only downside is that they suck in the rain. He frequently gets 10k -12k miles per set and that is from side to side.

Dave

I'm thinking Diablo rosso's for my RSVR only about 5k miles for the life but I don't care I don't want to fall down again btu I MAY go strada its just the power and weight distribution it doesn't seem as planted as the V11, go figure so I want something stickier, but at the same time the roads are so flat around here I should just get the strada's for the aprilia. :unsure:

+1 on the Diablo Stradas. Excellent all around tire, unbelievable grip in the wet. I'm currently mounting up Diablos (one step more sporty from the Stradas) We'll see how those do.

On a related note, I just put on a set of Continental Road Attacks on my RT. They are really nice. Every bit of the Z6 set they replaced. I developed uneven wear rapidly with the front Z6. (2000 miles) I'm hoping the Contis do better.