Sounds like a honking goose

toknee

Just got a 2000 V11 Sport.

When the bike is moving forward, I hear a sound coming from the driveshaft, sounds like like a real goose.

To tell the truth, I thought it was the brakes dragging on the front caliper. till I shut the bike off, and pushed forward and backwards, and isolated the sound to the driveshaft.

Is this normal? I never had a shaft driver bike before.

Guest ratchethack

Hm. Must be pretty loud if it's noticeable over the motor. :o There's nothing I can think of in the driveshaft that would ever tend to "sound off" like this. :huh2:

Check the rear brake. It's infamous for developing a "groan", due to a combination of accumulated road crud and brake dust in the caliper, and typical neglect from not being bled properly (caliper off, bleed nipple pointing up), all of which conspires to set up the heat/drag cycle, but usually the groan happens when backing the bike up to park.

Good luck. Let us know wot you come up with. B)

Also check the driveshaft u joints, particularily the front, to insure proper lubrication. As the joint goes round, if dry, might "Honk...Honk" due to lack of proper grease. This should be checked no matter what because of the age of the bike (whats the mileage?), some members reporting items NOT properly lubed from the factory, and a driveshaft costing $6-700.00 :o . Please keep us informed, good luck, S.H.

Ratchethack,

You are dead on, it was the rear brake.

Removed the caliper, cleaned it, and no more honking.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Hm. Must be pretty loud if it's noticeable over the motor. :o There's nothing I can think of in the driveshaft that would ever tend to "sound off" like this. :huh2:

Check the rear brake. It's infamous for developing a "groan", due to a combination of accumulated road crud and brake dust in the caliper, and typical neglect from not being bled properly (caliper off, bleed nipple pointing up), all of which conspires to set up the heat/drag cycle, but usually the groan happens when backing the bike up to park.

Good luck. Let us know wot you come up with. B)

Good to know you located the problem. Just an FYI though, if you remove the rear wheel and shaft for any reason, be very certain that the orientation of the u-joints is correct when you re-assemble the drivetrain. Otherwise, you get a really horrible noise, mucho vibration and shaking and if you persist in leaving it in that mode, the joints will grenade. Thankfully, I do not know this from personal experience.