LeMans shifting problems

Paul Guzzi

Got this 2002 LeMans in January. So far it's received a new battery. I'm waiting for a new set of relays. Something's up with the neutral switch/light/relay/ sidestand switch..........Does start with sidestand up, but neutral light has a mind of it's own, coming and going as it pleases.

Today, in my first attempt to leave my driveway, I discovered that this bike has no interest, what so ever, in going past 2nd gear. What's my first step in figuring this out? Is there a history of this problem with the fix already worked out? Bike only has 3,900 miles on it (at least according to the odometer). By the way, this bike has "Grand Rapids Guzzi" painted on the rear. I've tried to call them, but get a recording from the phone company. Does anyone know if this dealer is still in business in Grand Rapids, MI?

Guest ratchethack

Paul, will the trans select first and second gear normally, but simply not engage 3rd? If so, the eccentric adjuster (below the starter motor) might not be located correctly for engagement of the gear selector pawl. Remove the acorn nut and back off the jam nut. This will allow a slight adjustment of the eccentric pin. (There are numerous write-ups on this here). I'd advise mark the current angular setting of the pin carefully so you can return back a little bit the other way if you discover no change going in one direction. It might take a little fiddling to find the "sweet spot".

I was raised in East Grand Rapids, MI, and cut me teeth on all my early motos there, have been in CA for 28 years. Seems to me I read somewhere that the Guzzi dealership in GR closed their doors about a year back.

Where do you live?

Paul, will the trans select first and second gear normally, but simply not engage 3rd? If so, the eccentric adjuster (below the starter motor) might not quite be reaching far enough to engage the pawl selector. Remove the acorn nut and back off the jam nut. This will allow a slight adjustment of the eccentric pin. (There are numerous write-ups on this here). I'd advise mark the current angular setting of the pin carefully so you can return back a little bit the other way if you discover no change going in one direction. It might take a little fiddling to find the "sweet spot".

I was raised in East Grand Rapids, MI, and cut me teeth on all my early motos there, have been in CA for 28 years. Seems to me I read somewhere that the Guzzi dealership in GR closed their doors about a year back.

Where do you live?

Yes, 1st and 2nd seem normal, then nothing....... I'll do as you said and mess with that adjustment. I had a Guzzi back in the 70's but have ridden so many Japanese inline fours (almost no trouble of any kind.......) since then that I'd forgotten how interesting it is to own a Guzzi. I live in Chelsea, about half way between Ann Arbor and Jackson. Thanks.

Guest ratchethack

I probably had as many misspent as well as well-spent weekends at U of M, and to a lesser extent, MSU. Incidentally, I very nearly purchased a Matchless 650 in Jackson one time. Went to CMU with a bunch o' knuckleheads from Parma. . . (and I'll bet you know all there is to know about Parma, eh?! ;) ) Spent much more time in Northern and Western MI. . . Ah, the good ol' days. . . ^_^

Good luck, my friend. :thumbsup:

Yes, the adjuster will probably take care of your problem. Search the old threads on this. Basically, its an adjust-and-try procedure. Turn it one way only very slightly and test ride. If that doesnt work, try going back the other way. With some fiddling, you can get it to shift very nicely.

Yes, the adjuster will probably take care of your problem. Search the old threads on this. Basically, its an adjust-and-try procedure. Turn it one way only very slightly and test ride. If that doesnt work, try going back the other way. With some fiddling, you can get it to shift very nicely.

Thanks for the help. I'll fiddle away and hopefully get the thing to shift. Good thing I have what my wife calls my "backup bike", the Kaw Concours, which always starts, stops, and goes very fast in between. It's just not exciting the way the Guzzi is.

I probably had as many misspent as well as well-spent weekends at U of M, and to a lesser extent, MSU. Incidentally, I very nearly purchased a Matchless 650 in Jackson one time. Went to CMU with a bunch o' knuckleheads from Parma. . . (and I'll bet you know all there is to know about Parma, eh?! ;) ) Spent much more time in Northern and Western MI. . . Ah, the good ol' days. . . ^_^

Good luck, my friend. :thumbsup:

That mispent youth of mine was, as it turns out now, a very fine expenditure indeed.

Anyway. I'll keep messing with the linkage and let you know if I can get it to shift. I read through all the technical topics, but did not see other mentions of this problem. Maybe I don't know how to use the site yet, but when I tried to get at the "Archives" to look for those past threads, I kept getting error messages. How do I find those items?

Thanks

Paul...fear not. Your gonna be real happy when you get it right.

It sure sounds like the Adj.

I ended up just searching on "acorn nut" ...you'll see what I mean

when you read >>>

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=5866&hl=

Good luck...have fun.

( I cut a wrench and an allen to do it on the fly and 1/8 turn may be too much at a time)

when you read >>>

Good luck...have fun.

( I cut a wrench and an allen to do it on the fly and 1/8 turn may be too much at a time)

OK, Now I totally get it. That link really explained it well. Can't wait to get home and fix this so I can ride! If this website had existed back when I had my 1968 V700, I might still own that beast too, but it drove me nuts.....

Thanks again for your help.

when you read >>>

Good luck...have fun.

Owning a Guzzi is such an interesting learning experience. Eccentric shaft is adjusted and you're right: I absolutely love this bike. Problem is that it has a favorite speed that is a bit over what's posted, but what a BLAST!!

Thanks to all of you who triangulated on the target for me.

Ahh...good Paul.

I'm curious..did you do the ride/ adjust / ride / method?

There's a few more goofy glitches that may pop up

but there as easy or easier fixes.

Clutch cut out...(wire under tank) Kick stand cut out, relays (Get some GEIs or others mentioned

on the "relays" threads). Wheel bearing / spacer foolishness...Floppy instrument cluster..

Get 'em sorted by 20K and enjoy the next 150K.

Now you need to find that 50 / 60 mph Guzzi groove for when your around civilization.

AKA the "patrolled" motorways. Save your license for where you can really play.

Have fun :mg::D