I hate painting..... But did it anyway....

Richard Z

The one thing in life I don't have patience for is bodywork and painting. However, on occasion, I seem to put myself through the stress anyway.

Anyway, the past year I've been running with a National Cycle tinted windscreen as pictured. It works well but just looks out of place. So, I painted it. Two weeks of evenings, I primed, painted, sanded, painted, color sanded, painted, sanded more, painted, clear coated, buffed and finally put wax on.

The problem. I couldn't get the edges to hold enough paint. Every time I slightly sanded near an edge, the paint was too thin. Even with 2000 grit paper and wet sanding very delicately, I still got thru the base coat. I finally sanded all the edges round to eliminate the sharper edges of the windscreen.

before:

stephscamera010.jpg

after:

PIC_0432.jpg

PIC_0431.jpg

I'm waiting for the emblem to get here to put on it. Can't wait to get my first rock chip. :huh:

Richard Z.

Looks very nice...and I'm sure that it required a LOT of effort.

I wouldnt worry too much about the rock-chips, just keep the speed below 28.7 mph and you will reduce the chance of a rock-chip by 96%. :rolleyes:

Richard, where did the eagle go?

Nice job there anyway :thumbsup:

I ordered an Eagle Decal. It hasn't arrived yet. I would really like to find the Eagle Emblem that is on the new 1200 sport.

That would be cool.

Richard Z.

I agree, it does go great with the bike. Nice job.

Have you thought about a 3M clear stone guard. I know they don't have a pre cut sheet for that but you can form it like window tint and possibly do it yourself, or find an installer. Just a thought. I hate paint and bodywork too, and i'd hate to see you waste your efforts.

I agree, it does go great with the bike. Nice job.

Have you thought about a 3M clear stone guard. I know they don't have a pre cut sheet for that but you can form it like window tint and possibly do it yourself, or find an installer. Just a thought. I hate paint and bodywork too, and i'd hate to see you waste your efforts.

This project was a trial and error thing. I don't have much in it. The windscreen is about $50 and I have plenty of paint now. I thought I would buy another windscreen and do it a little differently. I'm think of purchasing a set of fairing mounted mirrors and taking the Bar ends off. Just wanting something a little different.

Thanks for the compliments.

Richard Z.