Tyre choice for 2000 V11?

Molly

Opened a can of worms there... Thanks for all the advice just the same.

I don't ride in the wet much if at all. I want long life but also need to feel confident in the bends (not that I'm a knee-down rider either - because I'm not).

The bike's coming back to NZ with me in a few months. Most of the riding will be on country roads (there aren't any highways really in the South Island). Don't know if that also affects tyre choices.

Thanks again everybody.

Gosh, that's a big move, IOM down to NZ south isle?!!!

Steve

Metzeler Sportec M3, for 2 reasons:

1) Doing trackdays

2) Greek roads are glassy....

Under these circumstances, those tires are perfect!

Guest ratchethack
I heard about this looks like a good idea cost does not seem out of line.

http://www.rhinotire.com/

Sam

Sliming tires with various kinds of wonder-goop has been around for at least a half century. It's a semi-compelling concept in theory, and not without potential merit, I suppose. Many of these products have been nothing short of disasters, if you talk to guys who've been mounting tires for a long period of time, and have seen 'em all and dealt with the aftermath. <_<

Seems to me that if there were a reliable, safe, durable way to provide no-flat puncture inoculation on a tire without considerable negative trade-off symptoms, tire mfgr's would be incorporating it in the tires to start with.

BAA, TJM & YMMV :huh2:

Hi - I too am wrapping up a new tire purchase for my 2000 V11. From what I have investigated, I think I am going with Pirelli Diablo Strada. Seem to be a good price point, longevity and performance package. I am mostly cruising rather than track etc. Anyone have any experience with these?

Bob

Funny some of you should suggest the Metzeler. There was a Metzeler press launch here on the Isle of Man today for, I think it was, the Z6. Lots of journalists and a few celeb riders (not that I recognised anybody - just saw them being interviewed) and lots of very different bikes on the same tyre.

One of the marketing people explained the structure of the tyre and how it's a response to the dual compound offers from other manufacturers without actually being dual compound itself.

Tried to get a few free samples but to no avail... ;-)

Guest ratchethack

EEEEEUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHMMMMMM?!?!

How is it that Metz seems to want to make some great mystery out o' this?? The last time I took a run thru the Metz Web site they danced all around the idea of dual compound on the Z6, whilst dropping rather large implications that the Z6 has the technology (by my repeat experience they wear like a dual compound), without saying it is or it ain't?!

Enquiring minds . . . (well, you know) :huh2:

EEEEEUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHMMMMMM?!?!

How is it that Metz seems to want to make some great mystery out o' this?? The last time I took a run thru the Metz Web site they danced all around the idea of dual compound on the Z6, whilst dropping rather large implications that the Z6 has the technology (by my repeat experience they wear like a dual compound), without saying it is or it ain't?!

Enquiring minds . . . (well, you know) :huh2:

The marketing bloke who explained the tyre structure to me talked about a triple wire cord, or some such, wound at differing tension as it passes from the shoulder to the centre of the tyre and back to the other shoulder. He said the higher tension in the centre would be good for highway use whereas the lower tension would help the tyre present a larger contact patch on corners. That's as best I can remember and based on what I think he was trying to explain. It could all be wrong... ha ha. He did say it's not dual compound though.

I commented on the wide variety of bikes fitted with it and he said that's part of what they're trying to get across - that its a very versatile tyre.

Guest Victor/Euro Moto Arizona

I ran Dunlop D208ZR's on my LeMans. It made a world of difference in the handling. Turn in was much quicker but it remained stable through the corner. I would highly recommend the newer version of that tire (Sportmax) which is what I'm now using on my Brutale.

FWIW, this just popped up on my radar screen from another list I'm on:

$170 package deal on a set of Pirelli Diablo Supersport tires.

http://tinyurl.com/6lddo3

I've never used the tires or the vendor, so I can't vouch. Just wanted to pass it along in case somebody here found it useful.

__Jason

Why is it that we here in the UK would be expected to pay more than double that?

It's no wonder manufacturers call the UK 'Treasure Island' and clearly not just the V11 itself that's shafted...

:-(

Guest frankdugo
FWIW, this just popped up on my radar screen from another list I'm on:

$170 package deal on a set of Pirelli Diablo Supersport tires.

http://tinyurl.com/6lddo3

I've never used the tires or the vendor, so I can't vouch. Just wanted to pass it along in case somebody here found it useful.

__Jason