Here's a Stumper

cycdude6

The bike is running ok now after tps adjustment and tuneup.

However, whenever I go up to or just over 100 mph the motor will stop dead, restart, stumble, cutout and barely run until I come to a stop. Then it usually returns to normal. It does this every single time.

I do not believe it is a fuel issue because the cutout is pronounced and dramatic as if it is being switched on and off. Lights are working during this problem and no idiot lights come on. It's a little hard to get all the details when your bike cuts out at 100 mph tho.

Bike has 3600 miles, power commander, M4 pipes and a K&N filter, Dan Prunuske relays, a new kill switch and a new tach.

Any ideas on how to test for the problem, what to look for or common electrical issues that could cause this?

Thanks!

The bike is running ok now after tps adjustment and tuneup.

However, whenever I go up to or just over 100 mph the motor will stop dead, restart, stumble, cutout and barely run until I come to a stop. Then it usually returns to normal. It does this every single time.

I do not believe it is a fuel issue because the cutout is pronounced and dramatic as if it is being switched on and off. Lights are working during this problem and no idiot lights come on. It's a little hard to get all the details when your bike cuts out at 100 mph tho.

Bike has 3600 miles, power commander, M4 pipes and a K&N filter, Dan Prunuske relays, a new kill switch and a new tach.

Any ideas on how to test for the problem, what to look for or common electrical issues that could cause this?

Thanks!

I'd start by holding a lower road speed with the same or higher RPM for the same length of time it takes to get to 100mph ?

If speed is the issue then maybe the wind blast /vibration is moving a electrical connection ? :huh2:

seems really strange though !

Sounds like vibration may be causing relay chatter.

That's what I'm theorizing as well and also there's a possibility that when I sit way back to drop my head at the higher speeds my weight may be forcing the seat onto the relays and perhaps deforming them. I'm gonna try and drop them a bit.

John

That's what I'm theorizing as well and also there's a possibility that when I sit way back to drop my head at the higher speeds my weight may be forcing the seat onto the relays and perhaps deforming them. I'm gonna try and drop them a bit.

John

Maybe something as simple as a bit of foam w/ a piece of sheet metal laid across the top of them to distribute any load evenly [at least as a quick means of testing the theory; any change would mean you were on the right track...] :huh2:

Found the problem...i've been playing with the tps a lot lately trying to set it up. As a result of sticking wires in the female connector to the tps the slots became enlarged and the connection became intermittent. A little work with a pin and it's all set now. Thanks for the input.

John