loose instrument cluster

dp.guzzi

I made an aluminium bracket to hold my beeper while riding [see picture]. The screw holding the bracket goes into a metal threaded collar inserted into a black rubber cylindrical shock absorber. I assumed that the screw went all the way thru this ruber and into the metal surface below it, to hold it firmly in place, but this is not the case.

I tried silicon cement on it, but this didn't work and the instruments dance around when I ride, and surely the tach and speedo will soon fail if I don't fix this.

I am trying to epoxy it in place, but does anyone know what the proper thing to do is? Or any recommendations?

Thanks.

beeper_bracket.JPG

Guest ratchethack

DP, the socket head screws on mine thread into locking nuts on the other end of the rubber shock mounts. My take is that if you managed to get the screw out, you more'n likely lost the locknut. No prob getting one back in there, once you get access from the other side. ;)

Thanks for the response. Ya know, I had a feeling that something fell out when I put the new longer screw in, but that was over a month ago, I don't know what it looked like, and consequently, I don't understand the mechanism.

What do I ask the dealer for, or is there a site with a microfiche on line anywhere?

The factory mounts for the instrument cluster will eventually fail. I epoxied mine a few times before giving up on them. I cut some rubber plugs to the same length as the stock mounts, drilled through them, ran longer screws through the assembly, and used rubber and steel washers under the nuts on the bottom of the mounting bracket. Did that make sense?

If I was to do it again I'd just remove the metal parts from the stock rubber mounts, drill through them, then attach them the same way.

The factory mounts for the instrument cluster will eventually fail. I epoxied mine a few times before giving up on them. I cut some rubber plugs to the same length as the stock mounts, drilled through them, ran longer screws through the assembly, and used rubber and steel washers under the nuts on the bottom of the mounting bracket. Did that make sense?

If I was to do it again I'd just remove the metal parts from the stock rubber mounts, drill through them, then attach them the same way.

Makes sense to me. It looks like it should be just one long screw through the faux carbon fiber plate, through the rubber cylinder and through the metel plate below it.

Question: Where did you get the rubber to make th plugs out of?

Makes sense to me. It looks like it should be just one long screw through the faux carbon fiber plate, through the rubber cylinder and through the metel plate below it.

Question: Where did you get the rubber to make th plugs out of?

I used rubber stoppers from the local hardware store, but like I said I'd just drill the stockers if I was doing it again. The mounting bracket for the cluster is not tapped so you'll need washers and nuts below it. FWIW I think it's important to use rubber washers between the bottom of the bracket and the nut/steel washer for vibration damping. :nerd:

Greetings!

For what it's worth, I used a 1/4" (thread size) rubber well nut, a 1/4x20 stainless bolt that was long enough to pass completely through, a stainless fender washer, and a nylon locknut.

The fender washer, nylon nut, and the (allen head) bolt will hold the gauge cluster to the motorcycle. The well nut will expand to tightly fill the hole in the gauge mount when the bolt is tightened, keeping the gauges both tightly fastened and reasonably well insulated from shock and vibration.

I went this route because I retrofitted a V11 Sport / Le Mans setup to my Cafe' Sport, and discovered after it was all apart that the hardware that came off of my original setup was nowhere near what I needed. I was able to obtain all the parts to mount the dash / gauges at the local hardware store, thus the SAE size. I'd have gone with a metric version were they as obtainable.

Hope this helps!

I tried super-gluing mine back together, but its only a temporary fix at best. I ended up ordering some replacements through an online outfit that specializes in vibration dampening mounts. Obviously, these aren't standard Guzzi replacements, but they're heavier duty than stock.