Seat Won't Come Off!

Darius

I am several hours into this aggravation with no results! The cable seems to have come off the seat latch mechanism under the seat. I have disassembled the remote Key release and can pull the cable fully. I have also removed the (roughly) square panel part of the fender liner so I can get to the underside of the latch but cannot seem to get it to release or get enough bite on the 10MM nuts holding the latch to remove the mechanism) as was done by another forum member in a previous thread) despite ratchet universal joints, extensions, etc. The angles and tool tray hamper this. I have started to remove the fender liner but cannot get the nut in the center off as the bolt just spins.

BTW - this is just the immediate problem as the reason the seat needs to come of is the bike refused to turn over when I pulled it out for a ride (checked all the usual suspects - neutral, clutch switch, side stand, etc.) It later started "business as usual" back in the garage! So I need to check things out before I ride away from the house.

I am aware the real reason for this is pure jealousy as I elected to take the Ducati ST on our recent 2500 mile Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon trek but I think I have been punished enough at this point. These Italian Bella's certainly earn their reputation! Any advice from the esteemed members of this forum would be most appreciated (yes I am sucking up cuz I need something :-)

Thanks in advance!

I am several hours into this aggravation with no results! The cable seems to have come off the seat latch mechanism under the seat. I have disassembled the remote Key release and can pull the cable fully. I have also removed the (roughly) square panel part of the fender liner so I can get to the underside of the latch but cannot seem to get it to release or get enough bite on the 10MM nuts holding the latch to remove the mechanism) as was done by another forum member in a previous thread) despite ratchet universal joints, extensions, etc. The angles and tool tray hamper this. I have started to remove the fender liner but cannot get the nut in the center off as the bolt just spins.

BTW - this is just the immediate problem as the reason the seat needs to come of is the bike refused to turn over when I pulled it out for a ride (checked all the usual suspects - neutral, clutch switch, side stand, etc.) It later started "business as usual" back in the garage! So I need to check things out before I ride away from the house.

I am aware the real reason for this is pure jealousy as I elected to take the Ducati ST on our recent 2500 mile Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon trek but I think I have been punished enough at this point. These Italian Bella's certainly earn their reputation! Any advice from the esteemed members of this forum would be most appreciated (yes I am sucking up cuz I need something :-)

Thanks in advance!

I think you should be able to pop the catch by lifting the L/H/R corner of the seat and pushing the arm with something thin but strong, I used a ruler and it does reach the catch but I didn't risk damage by attempting to operate it :D

seat_latch.jpg

hope this helps

Dave

If you've done away with your airbox, you should be able to get to the front "tab" of the seat and pry it up until it releases. Other than that, all I can think of is brute force... but I'm not sure how well it would work. it seems that if you could get the seat pan to flex enough, it should also cause the front to release. Or it will break the seat. :huh2:

Edit: just saw Dave's response. His suggestion seems far more logical than mine.

__Jason

I think you should be able to pop the catch by lifting the L/H/R corner of the seat and pushing the arm with something thin but strong, I used a ruler and it does reach the catch but I didn't risk damage by attempting to operate it :D

seat_latch.jpg

hope this helps

Dave

Thank You Dave!! The seat popped right off. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful idea. If it sounds like I am in an infinitely better mood its because I am! As suspected, the cable end had come off the latch.

Best Regards

Thank You Dave!! The seat popped right off. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful idea. If it sounds like I am in an infinitely better mood its because I am! As suspected, the cable end had come off the latch.

Best Regards

The end came off the latch, or the end came off the cable? Big difference; if the former, this sounds like a job for some gorilla snot; if the latter, then switch the latch spring already! ;)

Thanks all for your input. The inner cable tip came off the latch because there was too much free play (about 3/16") at the cable end as I have seen others note.. My solution was to dig a lead pellet weight out of my fishing tackle box and pinch it on the cable end - problem solved. Though I have no patience for fishing, I am pleased to finally get some good use out of the gear :-)