Rosso Corsa Issues?

rockitdoc

Looked at a Rosso today. 5600 miles but the speedo did not work. Rear brake pads were shot, steering damper was shot, or loose or something cuz at low speed it turned in and out by itself. Very unnerving. At speed, no prob. Otherwise a nice ride. $8g's seemed steep though with these issues and owner was adament at price. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

S

Hey rockitdoc, I have the Nero Corsa, and with all those issues, that definately seems way too high a price. For about $1500 more, I got mine with alot of motor mods, carbon fiber slip on exhaust, fbf x over and Powercommander. It looked almost perfect and runs great. The only real extra $ issue was the Ohlins fork leaked. I pulled and put the forks back on and had them professionally rebuilt, was basically $200.00 for parts and labor. That and a speedo cable broke. Those have been my only repair bills on her, though I took her from 5000 to now 11,000 miles, so have done tires, a battery and all the rest of the usual maintenence/tune up items one would normally expect.

I definately feel the Ohlins package is worth the extra up front $. But there was a thread not long ago, where I believe member "debenguzzi" offered a REALLY NICE Sport, with a lot of extra work, parts AND spare body parts, about to be new paint, $5500. Then another member chimed in, "my Rosso Mandello, $5500". Yeah, I think if you check here and the MGNOC classifieds, you would find a better deal. Hell, "rocker59" had a pristine Nero, with hard bags and wanted less than 8k, if memory serves me correctly. I'd keep lookin' if this owner doesn't want be more flexible....

Issues: That speedo cable I broke is now a new part # because the previous one broke at the trans, and a better angle at that point is now standard. Many feel you should swap out the stock relays for aftermarket ones. Mostly, issues are from bike to bike. Some say they have nothing but problems, but many wouldn't live without 'em. A short check here, on "FAQ's" and searches through "Tech" and "How to" will be invaluable with many of your question's. And, the fuel tank is ABS plastic.

Good luck in your search. I cannot accurately describe in mere words how much I have enjoyed my Nero, and many here will say the same... But then I am also biased, since CORSA'S KICK ASS! :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I was the member that chimed in about offering my Rosso Mandello to sell if someone just brought me the money in a brown paper bag. :lol: I would say that a nearly new Corsa could be worth 8 grand. If you think about the fact that when it was new...only 5k miles ago the msrp was around $15,000. If I were going to buy another v11 it would definitely be one with the ohlins. The bike is definitely worth no less than $7k if its in very good condition. New brake pads are cheap, and I doubt if theres anything wrong with the steering damper. Even if you did need a new damper its not that much money.

I guess that if you want a good clean late model rare v11 you have to pay a little extra. If you want the same experience for less money get a red frame 00' model for under $5k.

• 9 months later...
Hey, Thanks. That helps alot. I will keep looking.

S

Hello

I have a 2003 Rosso Corsa with absolutely no issues to speak of. The previous owner who was also the original owner of the bike said that one time the shifter bolt tried to back out. It was an easy fix and nothing else had gone wrong for him either. I have taken a few long trips on the Rosso and find the bike very comfortable for at least 500 mile days no problem. The previous owner of my Rosso had installed the following very useful items, especially for sport touring. Higher windshield, lower footpeg kit, Rich Maund seat, Williamsville higher bars, Guzzi Ti pipes and upgraded computer. I would judge each Corsa you're looking it on its own merit regardless of mileage. Look for a caring owner (Original if possible) who has taken care of the bike and possibly installed all the extras already. From 2003 on up you should be fine from some of the little detail problems that we saw in the earlier bikes. I played it safe and changed the shifter return spring on mine just for peace of mind, even though the mechanic said it was fine. If you do purchase one you'll be rewarded with a bike that performs great for the real world, and holds its value. Good luck and remember, you're purchasing the previous owner as much as the bike.

Ciao,

Francesco.

It would take $8k to get me interested in selling my Nero Corsa.

There were only about 50-each of the Rosso and the Nero Corsas brought to North America...

They are rare even by Guzzi standards.

Brake pads is not biggie. All the ITI speedos fail, and there are fixes for that. You don't know for sure if the steering damper was a problem...

Minor issues for a beautiful and rare Moto Guzzi...

Buy one... You will love it... I've ridden mine all over the country and have enjoyed every mile. Look in the ride reports section for my posts... You will see what I mean...

It would take $8k (+, and see MY ESTATE to do so...) to get me interested in selling my Nero Corsa.

There were only about 50-each of the Rosso and the Nero Corsas brought to North America...

They are rare even by Guzzi standards.

Brake pads is not biggie. All the ITI speedos fail (To tempt Fate, Mine hasn't.), and there are fixes for that. You don't know for sure if the steering damper was a problem...

Minor issues for a beautiful and rare Moto Guzzi...!!! :notworthy::mg::wub:...NEROS ROCK!!!

:stupid:- the "stupid", +1, "Ohlins Package" bike is well worth the initial outlay, IMHO. :thumbsup: