Ditching air box

Guest V11RossoNigel

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hello all

Right I am thinking of getting rid of the air box and running filters straight on the throttle body, firstly is this a good idea ? Reason being that the tank is rubbing under vibration on the air box, and will in time put a hole through the tank. So my idea is that ditch the air box and run K and N filters. My first question is...... there is a sensor that goes into the air box what do you do with this? If running K and N filters direct onto the throttle body ? All info much appreciated. I am running the Ti pipes with the ECU supplied.

Cheers

Nige

I did it to my Rosso Mandello. You will have to have it retuned because it will run too lean. Just zip tie the sensor out of the way.

I love the look of the bike without the airbox, plus its much easier to work on it & clean it.

I did it to my Rosso Mandello. You will have to have it retuned because it will run too lean. Just zip tie the sensor out of the way.

I love the look of the bike without the airbox, plus its much easier to work on it & clean it.

Richard, How's the intake noise? Some have complained of excessive intake roar with pod filters. I like the look too but mine is loud enough for me as is.

Guest Ferank

The intake noise wasnt very loud for me. I am also running the ECU and Ti pipes. Tuning wasnt necessary. It ran fine. Some people use a film container to protect the sensor. I used a plastic ear plug container (bit smaller).

97498316.jpg

I put the pod filters on almost as soon as I bought the bike so I cant really tell you about the noise difference. I also wear a helmet so that filters a lot of it too. Besides my Rosso Mandello has the single plate clutch & its a noisy bastard anyway.

I put the pod filters on almost as soon as I bought the bike so I cant really tell you about the noise difference. I also wear a helmet so that filters a lot of it too. Besides my Rosso Mandello has the single plate clutch & its a noisy bastard anyway.

Loud pipes saves lives :lol:

Guest V11RossoNigel

Thanks for your input guys.....ferank nice picture, I cannot quite see but how have you fixed the pods, have you used some kind of stack between pod and throttle body, is it better to use a velocity stack or put pod straight onto the back of the throttle body ?

Hey Ferank I see you are from Orange County....should you not have put extended forks on her and lowered the seat.... and maybe some 22 inch apehangers..... hey only joking.

cheers

Nige

Hey Ferank I see you are from Orange County....should you not have put extended forks on her and lowered the seat.... and maybe some 22 inch apehangers..... hey only joking.

cheers

Nige

That's a different Orange County. the OCC idiots are from the right coast if I'm not mistaken.

Guest Ferank
That's a different Orange County. the OCC idiots are from the right coast if I'm not mistaken.

Actually they have that around here too! I guess I would fit right in either way! As far as my connection I used the same piece of plastic that connects your TBs to the air box. You should cut a little bit less than half off if you use the same K&N filter as I did.

Here's a vendor that sells pod filters with integrated velocity stacks for the V11. I don't have them so I can't comment on fit or performance.

http://www.sportcyclepacific.com/featureditems.htm

Ferank, that's a beautiful low mileage Sport you have there. If you don't mind my asking, why are you selling it? Did you decide you need something faster?

Guest Ferank
Here's a vendor that sells pod filters with integrated velocity stacks for the V11. I don't have them so I can't comment on fit or performance.

http://www.sportcyclepacific.com/featureditems.htm

Ferank, that's a beautiful low mileage Sport you have there. If you don't mind my asking, why are you selling it? Did you decide you need something faster?

Its hard to explain. Perhaps I need something slower. I have too much fun appreciating her power.

Hey guys,

I'm also thinking about removing the airbox and going with some K&N pods, anyone know where I can pick some up?? Online retailers or local shops??? Also will the bike need any tuning?? Just running stock for now.

Thanks,

Jon

Guest Ferank

Any auto parts store that sells filters can order you the RU-0600 from K&N. Everything else you can fabricate yourself.