New prawl spring, Adjustment?

Antonio

Hi, mine is a 04 Ballabio. I just replaced the prawl spring (MG Cycle). After a few tries, I managed to get the cover back on by aligning the four shift pins to the gear slots. Now I have 1st, neutral, 2nd, and with some wiggling, 3rd, and no others. Would the new spring warrant an adjustment to the eccentric adjuster (big acorn nut thing)?

Additionally, there is a 13mm nut that connects to an off center shaft that resides over the back of the prawl arm. I turned this and could not remember what setting it originally was. What is this?

selector.jpg

I have to take the cover off again and add some sort of liquid gasket because of a leak. Is there some adjustment I can do while inside?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi, mine is a 04 Ballabio. I just replaced the prawl spring (MG Cycle). After a few tries, I managed to get the cover back on by aligning the four shift pins to the gear slots. Now I have 1st, neutral, 2nd, and with some wiggling, 3rd, and no others. Would the new spring warrant an adjustment to the eccentric adjuster (big acorn nut thing)?

Additionally, there is a 13mm nut that connects to an off center shaft that resides over the back of the prawl arm. I turned this and could not remember what setting it originally was. What is this?

selector.jpg

I have to take the cover off again and add some sort of liquid gasket because of a leak. Is there some adjustment I can do while inside?

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony, It's been awhile since I've been in there. I believe that eccentric centers the other spring. The one that causes the mechanism to return to center after shifting. With the cover off adjust it for equal pressure returning to center position after either up or down shift.

Is it possible the gearbox was not in neutral when you put things back together? Your adjuster mechanism may not be in sync with the trans and you are running out of movement before you get through all the gears.

Put the trans in neutral before you pull the cover then look at the selector plate on the cover. Set it to neutral (between 1st & 2nd :homer: ). If things were shifting OK before the pawl spring break leave the acorn adjuster alone.

I just completed a successful test drive. All six gears nice and smooth.

The culprit was the 13mm nut (red arrow & red dot). This seems to be a prawl stop. The cam will stop the prawl just at the right point. Attached are photos.

red dot= adjustment cam thing

green and blue dots= points on the prawl to show position and how the cam stops each direction of movement.

It's true, a few degrees rotation will stop up or down shifts.

prawl_stop.jpg

prawl_at_rest.jpg

up_shift_prawl.jpg

down_shift_prawl.jpg

Anthony