Have I ruined my front wheel spacer?

scottybee

My front wheel bearings felt a little rough when turning by hand so I decided to replace them. I looked at all the threads about removal and the spacer issues.

I tried driving one in to push the other side out as suggested in one old post. But as I could see after finally getting them out, thats impossible with my wheel because the bearing seat in the wheel is much smaller than the OD of the bearing. I should say that I have a 2003 LeMans with the hollow front axle. So the only way I could see to get them out was from an old post from Carl Allison to remove the brake rotor to access the 3 slots in the wheel and use a long thin screwdriver to drive one out. I thought that I was driving against the outer race of the bearing but apparently I was driving against the flange on what I'm guessing is what is called the spacer. So that flange is destroyed , driven completely off the spacer. So my question is. Do I really need that flange to be there?

photo

front wheel

the only thing the flange is is, is that the spacer sits in the center when you romove the spindle. I have an alu spacer without it. And since it it fits exact, it stays where it is with spindle out. You might keep the spindle in when pushing the bearings in, so be shure the spacer sits in the right place. When mounted, the bearings should move easy with your finger And moving one bearing should turn the other one too.

Thanks for the info Paul. Thats what I was hoping to hear. :D I was also hoping to get a reply from You and/or Pete Roper since I had read alot of the old post's from both of you guy's and you obviously have a wealth of knowledge on all things motorcycles, especially Guzzi's. :mg:

And thanks to Jaap for starting and maintaining this site, it has been absolutely essential to me keeping my Lemans. :bier:

Thanks to all!!! :bike:

Scott