Voltage Regulator

Guest ONETHUMPER

Guest ONETHUMPER

And yet another problem that I am hoping to get some help with. I put a Odyssey pc545 in my v11 two and a half years ago and its leaking so I got a new one and installed it. I checked the voltage and I got 12.5v at idle, 13.7v at 1750 rpm, heres the bad part 14.95v at 6000 rpm. So after doing a search that is to high and is what may have caused the battery to go bad. I took the regulator off to check the connections and bolts to frame all looked good but the regulator is a Ducati energia is this stock on a 2000 v11? From those voltages is the regulator bad and the output to much? thanks

15V is ok for a Hawker, the more as you're pobably not always running your engine at 6000 and above that. Read what is printed on the batterie's label.

Hubert

That is debatable.

Hawker recommends that external chargers not put out more than 15V, and that is just for forcing it to 100% charged. Hours on the freeway in Summer heat at 15V could cook the battery.

Hawker says, " If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery do not use the charger."

Guzzi specs the regulator to regulate between 14.0 and 14.6V

I would look for improvement by cleaning connections and rotating relays (assuming all are 5 pin). If no improvement, I would replace the regulator.

Would a faulty ground let the voltage run too high?

Someone said the regulator determines voltage between the lighting line and ground, so look in both those places for bad connections. For example if the starter or lighting relay cause a drop in voltage, the regulator may think the voltage is low, and let more juice flow. Check the voltage at the 15A lighting fuse. If low that is your culprit. But I am not sure what low is. Some voltage drop is normal. Maybe 1 volt less than at the battery would raise a red flag. If I get around to it, I could tell you my difference on my bike, assuming it is correct.

Oh, and check that alternator AC output is within spec.

Guest ONETHUMPER

I will check into the lighting and the grounds. So the voltage regulator may not be a problem. Has anyone else checked the voltage across the battery and if so what voltage values are you getting or is it not that simple and I am missing part of another guzzy puzzle. thanks for the help I just hate to cook another 150.00$ battery and not find the problem.

I had good luck with an aftermarket reg from Electrex on my Bassa... got it from Denniskirk.com same as a Ducati Monster... and yes the ducati regulator is stock on Guzzi.