Speedometer or Cable?

cycdude6

Hi all,

Before I rush off half-cocked I figured I'd check with the experts here. The speedometer is still indicating the speed but the odometer and trip meter, while turning, are very slow i.e. a trip of 40 miles would show about 2 miles on the odometer. This seems to suggest the cable is ok but the speedo is not. Concur? And if so would it be best to attempt to repair it myself or have it repaired or replaced under warranty?

Thanks,

John

If the speed part is working, then the cable is fine. Something else must be wrong in the speedometer. I would first try to have it replaced under warranty, then I would probably send it out for repair. Fixing it myself would be way down on my list. Too many small parts for my taste.

If none of the above options are satisfactory, you could consider one of the modern electronic speedometers ($$$) or a sigma bicycle speedometer (10 bucks) which works just fine.

Hi all,

Before I rush off half-cocked I figured I'd check with the experts here. The speedometer is still indicating the speed but the odometer and trip meter, while turning, are very slow i.e. a trip of 40 miles would show about 2 miles on the odometer. This seems to suggest the cable is ok but the speedo is not. Concur? And if so would it be best to attempt to repair it myself or have it repaired or replaced under warranty?

Thanks,

John

Guest V11RossoNigel

Yer, this will be a warranty job, reasons are that if the speedo is still reading then it is the gearing inside that registers the trip. You cannot really fix these yourself as the unit is sealed, you can only get the internals out by unscrewing the two screws at the base of the unit, then pulling the internals out via the perspex top, therein is the problem the perspex top is glue sealed at the factory, so the only way to access is to break it. I would be inclined towards warranty, however if this is not covered then use an aftermarket item as the original items are bloody crap anyway. I recently had to order new clocks for mine, I have got to send both back to Mandello as Tacho connections are all incorrect plus the speedo you could not put the little lug on for the trip as one supplied was completely wrong....and these parts are the only ones available now for all the V11 range so I have been informed......I tell you I am getting more and more pissed off with Guzzi spares, So I am going aftermarket and will make up my own housing, but am not sure what to use yet, I will have to do some homework......but if anyone has any ideas of aftermarket Speedo and Tacho units that are of good serviceable quality I would be gratefull of the info.

Guest V11RossoNigel
mine developed the same fault whilst on way to the V11 meet in Galloway. I'll probably go down the bicycle speedo route when I get round to it. But first have to sort out an oil light :o

Martin, I believe I read somewhere on this site that you work for the constabulary, so regarding the bicycle speedo route would this be ok in the eyes of the law, if so then I might myself use one of these items. Some of the custom catalogues produce some nice ones that are housed in a billet ally, they look quite neat, but a little expensive, so I would only go down this route if they are legal and would pass an MOT.

Martin, I believe I read somewhere on this site that you work for the constabulary, so regarding the bicycle speedo route would this be ok in the eyes of the law, if so then I might myself use one of these items. Some of the custom catalogues produce some nice ones that are housed in a billet ally, they look quite neat, but a little expensive, so I would only go down this route if they are legal and would pass an MOT.

The requirement is to have a speedo. The accuracy standards changed so that on more modern vehicles they can no longer under read. I think the MOT check is just to make sure there's one fitted they don't check it on the rolling road. We don't have the stringent Type Approval laws that some countries do.

The fact the speedo doesn't work is basically down to you. If you want to ride/drive with out a working one is down to to you, you'd soon pick up enough points to take you off the road so it's in your own interest. There is no statutory defence of defective speedo. And if you mention it at the road side you'll at best get laughed at, at worst a construction and use ticket though I can't see any practical way of proving the offence.

No requirement for a trip meter/odometer. Just Guzzi paranoia for the fuel warning light.

Guest V11RossoNigel

Cheers Martin for the info, I do not need to worry about the fuel warning light as is an 03 model where the light was shifted to the center consul.

regards

Nige

There must be some kind of trans-atlantic bike virus. I thought my bike was getting horrible fuel mileage (22mpg!) Then I matched the odo against the road markers and found it was showing 0.4 for every mile traveled. All within the last week.