Rear Brake Switch Failure

Beuphonium

Greetings all!

It appears that the rear brake switch on my '04 Cafe Sport has crapped out; does anybody know of a replacement switch that can be obtained at, say, an a local auto-parts type place, or if there's any interchangeability with a part number from another brand / type? Authentic Guzzi parts are as scarce as hen's teeth here in Hawaii, and I've got to try and get this fixed right away.

The brake light works perfectly from the front switch, the rear pedal doesn't turn on the light, but I can get the lamp to light by shorting the contacts on the rear brake switch, so I'm pretty much positive that the problem lies there.

Can the switch be rebuilt?

I'm assuming this isn't too common a problem...

Thanks in advance!

- Joe K

Greetings all!

It appears that the rear brake switch on my '04 Cafe Sport has crapped out; does anybody know of a replacement switch that can be obtained at, say, an a local auto-parts type place, or if there's any interchangeability with a part number from another brand / type? Authentic Guzzi parts are as scarce as hen's teeth here in Hawaii, and I've got to try and get this fixed right away.

The brake light works perfectly from the front switch, the rear pedal doesn't turn on the light, but I can get the lamp to light by shorting the contacts on the rear brake switch, so I'm pretty much positive that the problem lies there.

Can the switch be rebuilt?

I'm assuming this isn't too common a problem...

Thanks in advance!

- Joe K

Have you tried spritzing the guts of the switch w/ contact cleaner? I know, I know: it's just that I'm prone to overlooking the obvious solutions myself, so I figured it needed to be asked... ;)

Being one of those hydraulic pressure type switches, I've never had one apart so I have no idea. I visualize a set of seals inside the switch that'd probably get trashed if I attempted to remove them. I'm just hesitant to tear it apart until I know that I can either rebuild the existing switch or have a replacement one on hand (but that's only because lazy me wants to go through the whole brake bleeding process only once...) I suppose in the worst case scenario I can cap it off and use a mechanical switch rigged up to the brake pedal.

Being one of those hydraulic pressure type switches, I've never had one apart so I have no idea.

:homer:

Sorry, wasn't thinking about that... sorry! What can I say? I'm an anachronistic throwback to the last century: just color me "electromechanical..." :lol: