severe break-up above 5,000 RPM

quazi-moto

... I'm surprised really that the relays have cooked and not the fuse.

Fuses generally behave so lazy. Talking about your sooty plugs: black or oily does not always mean rich (hold on!, Dave, hold on!), it could be as well just a sign of bad or insufficient combustion, caused by electrical problems. Why don't you check the harness for damaged insulations?

And remember the two small holes provided by the two original rubber nozzles. That's all the air this engine needs, and I can't imagine that the loose insulation strips had choked the engine more than these nozzles do. It would surprise me if the symptoms would be less now. Have you tested it already?

Hubert

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean by two small holes and rubber nozzles. I did notice the two small fittings under the tank that had hoses attached before I dismantled the tank. The fittings almost look like grease fittings, but obviously they're not. One of them was jammed full of crud and I used a tiny drill bit to clear it out. I also took a rubber bulb syringe thingy (douche, if you will) and blew out the hoses. The one attached to the cruddy side had a bunch of wet crap in it. Does this one connect to the fuel pressure regulator at the bottom? That's how it was connected after I got it back from having it serviced, but I don't remember it being like that.

To connect the tank ventilation to the pressure adjuster is an interesting idea :lol: This would lead to the ultimate tank suction, I guess, but not necessarily to symptoms you'd mentioned above, with fried relais and such things.

With "two rubber nozzles" I meant those two inlet nozzles at the very front end of the airbox. Some call them "Lids"? They're bigger than those nipples you've mentioned, although some think they're the same ;)

Hubert

Now I'm hearin' ya. The stock intake snorkles. Well in my case a whole strip of insulation (approx. 6" x 12") got sucked down onto the open filter completely covering the top of the filter. It was literally pasted to the filter and I'm amazed that it it still ran, but then again injection is not like carburation. With regard to the hoses under the tank should they just vent to the atmosphere? I don't have the carbon canister anymore. I seem to recall that the bottom fitting on the fuel pressure regulator was never connected to anything in the past.

...the hoses under the tank should they just vent to the atmosphere?...

So I have mine. One is for ventilation, the other one shall keep the area around the tank lock dry. If this one is blocked all the water collected around the lock will immediately poor into the tank as soon as you open it for refueling. It's a good mouthfull. I experienced this once but it caused no complications at all.

Let me mention that we're obviously talking about different bikes. Mine, a KR/2000, doesn't have any insulation below the tank anyway.

Hubert

Mine, a KR/2000, doesn't have any insulation below the tank anyway.

My North American 2000 has insulation.

I like the idea of upgrading to that 3/8" insulation to keep the fuel a little cooler.

I've had the best luck with 3M spray adhesive.

And I owe Tom an apology for being cranky earlier. Sorry, Tom.

No problem here. I can see how the :stupid: could be misinterpreted. I only posted my agreement with you because everyone in the thread seemed to ignore your post and I thought your diagnosis was right on the money. Next time I'll just say I agree! :bier:

:bier: Thanks Tom. k