where is the oil leaking from?

arek

hi all,

i just took delivery of a 04 Ballabio last Saturday. the bike is awesome, in great condition with low mileage - 3.5k. but, today I noticed some oil on the left side of the engine block, right around the phase/revolutions sensor and the oil pressure sensor, and around the upper corner of the cylinder/block interface. now, can you tell me where is it most likely coming from? is it the oil pressure sensor? or the phase sensor. worst case would be the cylinder gasket, but is there a way to tell? the bike is so fresh that I dont want to believe its the cylinder gasket. Also, I removed and reinstalled the phase senor, but I am not sure if the rubber o-ring goes under or above the aluminum spacer on the phase sensor. I put the aluminium spacer onto the sensor first, then I the oring and bolted the sensor on again. I cleaned the the area to see is it still leaks. anyway, let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, arek

but, today I noticed some oil on the left side of the engine block, right around the phase/revolutions sensor and the oil pressure sensor, and around the upper corner of the cylinder/block interface.

is it possible to see a picture of the incriminated area ?

I just talked with someone at hypermotoguzzi, and he told me about re-tightening the cylinders and heads to the block, since bike is so low mileage things can move around and loosen up. So, he quickly told me the procedure - remove the valve covers, and I kind of lost him here; he mentioned about bringing the stroke to top most position, retorqueing to 35 ft lbs, and readjusting valves. Can someone outline this procedure for me, since I have not done anything like this before? Maybe someone can suggest a manual that I can purchase? Thanks a lot.

My apologies :huh: Of course its all right there in the FIRST FAQ :rolleyes: Thanks Lex.

Cool- I'm glad you found it.

If the leak persists, then clean up the area real well with S100 or soap or some such, dry the bike and apply a light dusting of talcum powder (baby powder). When you ride, a lot of wind blows in all directions and it can make oil migrate- making it hard to find the source of a leak. The talc slows it down and traps oil so you can pinpoint a leak. Plus, it reduces the bike from chafing. :D

Hi arek, The valve adjusting procedure is pinned here at "FAQ". You can download the owners manual here, check in "Fileshare" section. I bought a CD on eBay that is even more in depth, and totally worth the money in the first few simple jobs you do yourself (I have no personal interest in the cd in any way). And this is a great place for a fast answer. Good luck, S.H.

Hi arek, The valve adjusting procedure is pinned here at "FAQ". You can download the owners manual here, check in "Fileshare" section. I bought a CD on eBay that is even more in depth, and totally worth the money in the first few simple jobs you do yourself (I have no personal interest in the cd in any way). And this is a great place for a fast answer. Good luck, S.H.

You can also download all the files for the CD for free and write one yourself. The files are hosted on 'V11 manuals' on the yahoo groups site.

On the down side, you have to have some understanding of file structures in order to get the CD to work correctly. :huh2: