curious idea............

raceboy

Has anyone ever tried to Dry Sump a V11 or any other Guzzi??

Thoughts, ideas, critique or just kick to the ground..... :o

Raceboy

All Guzzis prior to Carlo's demise in '62? or so were dry sump designs. Given it's "trailie wannabe" status, the Stelvio [and Quotas before it] should [all] have been given a dry sump design, but that's about the only "need" for a dry sump I can see in recent Guzzis.

But "everyone knows you can't wheelie a shaftie" so I guess that's why all the current Guzzis have wet sumps! :lol: Just keep the front wheel on the ground where it can do you some good and you should be o.k. [provided you already have a Roper plate! :thumbsup:]

To dry sump the current motor, you'd need to add a second, scavenge oil pump which would then feed all the oil it can find to a reservoir that the current pickup can always find "full," no matter the attitude of the engine [ie, tipped back on one wheel going uphill, pulling a stoppie, leaned over at Maxton, whatever.] This sounds like a lot of work, given that a Roper plate and correct (higher) oil level will do the job about 98% as well, with the bonus of more oil for cooling to boot. Seem like a no-brainer to me, given that I never expect to spend any time busting berms on my LeMans... ;)

• Thanks 1

I have long believed that Guzzi needs to dry-sump its twin, to lower the overal height of the powerplant, so they could lower it in the frame to net all kinds of benefite. Like everyone else, Guzzi ignores everything I say. :P

Could you imagine if Guzzi started putting hose clamps on oil filters!!! :lol:

But seriously, if I had ignored everything you say, we never would have had any arguments.

Kudos to you, because your good advice has probably saved quite a few engines. :bier:

but then they'd have to have an external oil filter.

Yeah! That would be a good thing don't you think. I'm game to have a serious go at this if I can get some tech help from the more seasoned Guzzi veterans. The motor is coming out and completly torn down this winter, plans have been made.

God I love spending money I don't have. :bier:

Cheers,

Raceboy

Guest frankdugo
I have long believed that Guzzi needs to dry-sump its twin, to lower the overal height of the powerplant, so they could lower it in the frame to net all kinds of benefite. Like everyone else, Guzzi ignores everything I say. :P
don't feel bad greg you are apart of the great majority!