My Wife passed her DMV moto exam!

VA Sean

sorry for the cross-posting...

Okay... so she passed the MSF Basic Rider Course almost 2 years ago, but since her time was running out to actually get to the DMV for the written test, she studied a bit last night and told me this morning she was going in to take the test... then I got this email from her:

I passed! I passed! I passed! Waiting for picture or new license or whatever now! Can you let the Guzzi folks know?Huh Can we go to Cycle Sport Saturday and see if they have any small used beater bikes I can practice on?

Yes - I bought the V50III for her... but she is afraid of crashing it and irreparably harming it -- plus it is simply too tall for her to ride it with any confidence...

So it looks like we will be going out to buy her a little YamaKawaZuki 250cc something or other in the near future...

Congrats to Erin!

Congrats to Erin!

Good for her!

Those little jap cruisers have pretty low seats. Many smaller beginning riders gain confidence on them.

Tell her good luck & be safe.

Good for her!

Those little jap cruisers have pretty low seats. Many smaller beginning riders gain confidence on them.

Tell her good luck & be safe.

Yes, Suzuki makes a little 500cc? single cyl cruiser [their names are all stupid now, C35? or somesuch] that has proven very popular among the SBL people and personal acquaintances. Proven design, it's been in production dog's years, and cheap to buy new if you can't find one used locally, but you usually can as someone moves up to a more powerful bike as they get their "sea legs."

Good for her! :thumbsup: The small japanese cruisers are great for learning on and relatively cheap to fix if they get dropped (get crash bars!). I imagine dinging up the V50 could get expensive.

I have a neighbor who's way into Harleys and choppers. When his wife decided she wanted to learn to ride he bought her a lowered Sportster. She dropped it repeatedly and absolutely hated it! She went and got a used low mileage little Kawasaki cruiser and was really happy with it. After a couple years she sold it for nearly what she paid for it and moved up to a 750 Honda cruiser, much to the dismay of her hubby. I think he's the type that doesn't like to ride with non-Harleys :rolleyes:

:2c: !

I'm going to say what I always say.

Get her a dirt bike. Let her learn to throttle, shift, signal, brake -WELL-INSTINCTIVElY somewhere where there's no Buicks

and SUVs. Riding in the dirt / woods is a total blast. It is the quintessential fun of riding. How is that a bad idea?

When she can pop a little wheelie and do a full lock slide just having some fun the road will be 80% safer for her.

I've looked in the mirror and found a loved one missing, and seen a full sized van, all four wheels locked up trying to

miss her going wide on a corner. Luckily she walked away both times but I'm not sure I survived.

It's a LOT of responsibility. What's wrong with a couple of months having fun in the dirt?

4-500$ for the bike, that you'll probably turn around at a profit. No brainer to me.

The major hurdle is getting past the "Go where you look " threshold. Or more correctly "look where you go"

After bonking into a half dozen saplings it might sink in. Sometimes it never does. Best to find out on saplings not on Buicks.

Hate to be a nervous Nelly but the responsability is huge. GO out and have some fun with her in the woods.

It will be a lot more fun than riding around with your sphincter clenched all day.

Just my :2c:

Good luck....have fun.

:2c: !

After bonking into a half dozen saplings it might sink in. Sometimes it never does. Best to find out on saplings not on Buicks.

Hate to be a nervous Nelly but the responsability is huge. GO out and have some fun with her in the woods.

It will be a lot more fun than riding around with your sphincter clenched all day.

Just my :2c:

Good luck....have fun.

Not nervous at all weej. Riding on dirt will make any rider better on the street. When ever I come across a new rider young or old I worry about them not realizing the different mind set needed for motorcycling. We feel nervous because we've been there, been lucky, and know street riding must be taken seriously. The fact that she took a safety course before anything is a big plus.

Sean, ask TX if he still have some unused bike for sale?

Somewhere in his basement....

You know....?

....some Solex.... :lol:

HAH!

On another board, he already offered to sell me his K bike...

I told him "No friggin BEEMERS!"

:bier:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys - she's all fired up to get riding!