Test Rode A V7

Orson

During a recent trip to Italy, I had a chance to take a V7 for a 4 hour romp in the hills.

My initial impression after sitting on it was that this was a child size bike. I'm 6'2". Also, the forks look decidedly on the wimpy side. I had a chance to see last year's white paint job alongside this year's new black paint job, and I think I prefer the old white....maybe because the Guzzi label is more noticeable. Taking off, the engine felt predictably gutless, but that was to be expected. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest. The transmission selected gears with a pleasing "snick".

Once away from the stop lights of town and into the hills, the bike began to show its true colors. Free from the start and stop of city traffic, the engine began to shine. Slowly, the bike began to win me over. That trademark Guzzi low end torquey grunt and growl is there. Handling was light and easy in the turns. It made my V11 feel like a Harley in comparison. Although it gives up some 100cc to my Triumph Thruxton, it somehow felt just as powerful and with a more useful torque curve. It also felt a lot more planted and stable in curves than my Thruxton.

The last hour was spent on magnificent, freshly-paved twisties and I was really enjoying the ride. The aforementioned wimpy looking forks made a decent accounting for themselves as well as the rear shocks, for the bike never once felt upset or rattled. Keeping the rpm's up above 4000, all thoughts of being underpowered dissolved. I was having such a good time, even the initial thoughts about the bike being child sized had evaporated.

I have to admit, this bike is more enjoyable than my Thruxton. If Guzzi put in a 1000cc engine in it, yet managed to keep the light handling traits, they'd have a real winner.

Nice report Orson and interesting to see how you were won over by the small bloc engine.

One thing that has been consistent since the V7 classic launch is people crying out for the big bloc lump to be used in the small bloc frame....can't see how that would be remotly possible without a complete redesign and if that were the case I would much rather see the Iffogrifo put into production instead as the mods to the small bloc done then give it a much better power to weight ratio .

Chris

Guest frankdugo

thanks for the report.i've never had any doubts all the new bikes are good,but i guess the only way we 'll see lighter bikes is as small blocks

Put in a big block and you'll lose the 405lbs weight that makes the V7Classic a fun little bike.

The engine and tranny of a big block are heavy chunks!

Maybe if Guzzi would use billet engine internals... But that would be mucho $$$...

A "classic" big block would be this bodywork on the current Cal Vintage Tonti frame. The Cal Vintage weighs 550lbs...

Yeah, that's why men ride on men's machine

I understand where your sentiment comes from, but I disagree. Not everyone is 6'2" and not everyone wants to ride balls-out all the time (literally). People ride whatever bike suits their needs and abilities and they should enjoy it. There was a thread on a woman who drives way faster than I ever have or will, and probably drives faster than you. Then there are men who can do that also. Good for them. Good for you :bier: And there are women and men who are a lot slower- by choice. Any person with the aptitude to drive a motorcycle has (mostly) my respect.

Personally, I think the smaller Breva (my wife and I own one) and the V7 (most likely) are great, fun bikes. Then again, I like the Ninja 250 and just about any 250-500 enduro. It's about the rider and the road, not the bike. :oldgit:

I just wanted to add, if I had only a 30 minute ride instead of a nice, long 4 hour ride, I may have never gotten on so well with the bike. 4 hours allowed me time to build a nice relationship ^_^

I understand where your sentiment comes from, but I disagree. Not everyone is 6'2" and not everyone wants to ride balls-out all the time (literally). People ride whatever bike suits their needs and abilities and they should enjoy it. There was a thread on a woman who drives way faster than I ever have or will, and probably drives faster than you. Then there are men who can do that also. Good for them. Good for you :bier: And there are women and men who are a lot slower- by choice. Any person with the aptitude to drive a motorcycle has (mostly) my respect.

Personally, I think the smaller Breva (my wife and I own one) and the V7 (most likely) are great, fun bikes. Then again, I like the Ninja 250 and just about any 250-500 enduro. It's about the rider and the road, not the bike. :oldgit:

Jee, Jason, is that you talking over there?

I think is time for the spaminator to jump on it. :lol:

I LOVE the ninja 250!

That's what I am going to try next week. As soon as I can!

I would try the red one and after that the white one.

The red one must be a hell of a bike :P

Nice report Orson,

I picked up a V50III this year, and if the V7 Classic is a tenth as fun as that bike, it should be a winner.

I'm dying to put on a set of sticky Avon's on the V50III and give it a proper thrashing in the twisties. :P

• 7 months later...

I've just purchased a V7 Classic last week. Had an '06 Thruxton until last year; and, still have an '06 BMW HP2 (with both sets of rims). The steering feels heavier than the Thruxton or the HP2 (it's got the TKC80's dual sport set up right now), so I'm not sure if it's the tires or what. The motor doesn't feel as smooth as the Thruxton was; however, it does feel like it's got more low end grunt. The shocks feel a lot better than the Thruxton's. The roads around here are so tight a heavy bike is just too much work. So far, I'm really liking the V7. Just wish the Italians had left off the Chrome. I'm going to have to do something about that. Maybe the first thing to do is get rid of the steel chromed rims and go with a set of 17" front & rear Excels.

DSC01563.jpg

I've just purchased a V7 Classic last week. Had an '06 Thruxton until last year; and, still have an '06 BMW HP2 (with both sets of rims). The steering feels heavier than the Thruxton or the HP2 (it's got the TKC80's dual sport set up right now), so I'm not sure if it's the tires or what. The motor doesn't feel as smooth as the Thruxton was; however, it does feel like it's got more low end grunt. The shocks feel a lot better than the Thruxton's. The roads around here are so tight a heavy bike is just too much work. So far, I'm really liking the V7. Just wish the Italians had left off the Chrome. I'm going to have to do something about that. Maybe the first thing to do is get rid of the steel chromed rims and go with a set of 17" front & rear Excels.

Nice lookin' bike!