spark plugs are rich and sooty

2or4strokes

Hi Guys

I am back after a couple of months with V11 pistons and cylinder blocks in my sports 1100i after they detonated itself due to insufficient run in or pre production defects. Anyway rode the bike today with the new pistons and it felt good, smooth and power able to rip tarmac. After 25 kms the bike developed a stumble and dies. It started again but seemed to be running on one cylinder. Took out the plugs and they are all sooty. What Gives???

Some clues as to what I had done extra apart from cylinder and piston changed, I swap the old pump for a new one without really knowing the pressure rating. Since this was used in my Kawasaki turbo I assumed it should work because it can pumped up to 48psi.

Now the question....Can a stronger fuel pump caused the spark plugs to foul up even when on the highway???

I can see that the ports 1100i has a fuel return line to the tank so I assumed the pressure should not be a problem.

If it is the fuel pressure causing this problem I can fix a fuel pressure regulator and adjust the pressure accordingly. However does anyone know the fuel pressure of the original sports 1100i fuel pump?

I seem to remember 30psi but not for sure.. did you set the TPS on rebuild? what sensor do you have for head temp? the sensor in the cyl head (right side) is better than the one in the valve cover, if it thinks it's colder out it might be telling the bike to run to rich?

what was wrong with the original pump? I don't think the pressure regulator is adjustable

Can be everything. It makes not really sense to give you tips like could be this or that and look here or there.

First go through the connectors. Correctly paired? Corrosion free? Any cables damaged/clamped? Sensor cables especially?

Second go through the sensors. They have a definite resistance, varying with temperature. Check them.

It's NOT the fuel pump, if this was your only question. The pressure is regulated by the pressure regulator. At least one easy thing. Details to this regulator can be found in the different manuals. You have them? Probably, as you've rebuild the whole engine already.

HTH, Hubert

Hi Footguzzi/Luhbo

My temp sensor is in the cam cover , I never like this plastic unit and was wondering is there an alternative I can change to.

I will also check all the connectors etc, and other sensors.

I thought it was the fuel pump because when I changed it on the Kawa turbo and adjusted the fuel pressure(it has an adjustable pressure regulator to highes than stock )higher it ran sooty as well.

You have now an engine that is assembled with different parts than it was before. So you might have a different CR than stock or some other changes.

First I would go through the usual tuning procedure:

Adjust TPS, synch the Throttle bodys, adjust idle, set the CO trim in the ECU to 3,5 % CO at idle speed. Spend a set of new spark plugs. I bet my :2c: this will cure your symptoms. If not, go further:

Fuel pressure is regulated by the valve situated on the fuel tank where the return line is connected. If your Kawa pump is able to deliver enough fuel pressure, the valve will reduce that to the requiered figure. Connecting a pressure measurement device is a good idea. Fuel pressure is 3 bar on the V11, 1100 Sport should be the same, could anybody take a look into the worksop manual to doublecheck that?

Good luck

Ernst

could anybody take a look into the worksop manual to doublecheck that?

Confirmed. The stock fuel pump spec: "Flow rate 100 litres per hour at 3 bar; electrical voltage 12 volts; load current 4÷5Amps" and it has an internal limiter of 5 bar. This is only for protecting the pump and not to confuse with the normal pressure regulator which, like Ernst says, is 3 bar.

Hi Guys

Change to a set of new plugs . Bike starts but cannot idle. plugs are now wet. Checked the Tps sensor and it shows 39 degrees on my dealer's analyser. Adjust it back to 3.2 degrees as this equates to the millivolt measured at closed throttle with connecting rod and etc etc, .

Now observed that the TPS reading varies between 3.2 and 2.6 degree which is not normal. Is my TPS screwd? Bike cannot idle and plugs are wet wet wet? Any ideas anyone?

If my TPS is damaged where can I buy an alternative as where I am guzzis are fast becoming extinct like dinosaurs from the previous ice age.

Anyway the V11 and sports 1100i runs similar pistons and compression for those members who asked.

Hi Guys

Change to a set of new plugs . Bike starts but cannot idle. plugs are now wet. Checked the Tps sensor and it shows 39 degrees on my dealer's analyser. Adjust it back to 3.2 degrees as this equates to the millivolt measured at closed throttle with connecting rod and etc etc, .

Now observed that the TPS reading varies between 3.2 and 2.6 degree which is not normal. Is my TPS screwd? Bike cannot idle and plugs are wet wet wet? Any ideas anyone?

If my TPS is damaged where can I buy an alternative as where I am guzzis are fast becoming extinct like dinosaurs from the previous ice age.

Anyway the V11 and sports 1100i runs similar pistons and compression for those members who asked.

Sounds like the Temp sensor, but as others have said it could be anything !

I'd start here as its easy to replace (it may even be the same as a Fiat or Alfa part if you can't find a Guzzi Supplier) or maybe swap for a variable resistor to test ?

Hi back,

what you're writing looks rather strange I'd say. You better get a voltage meter and check the TPS yourself. There's a very long thread under "How to" which deals with how to adjust the TPS properly. A reading of 36° sounds not very reasonable. I think a worn out TPS behaves differently.

In case you want to check a different one you should either ask yor dealer whether he could lend you one or instead you buy nearly the same TPS from Buell/HD. The charateristics are only slightly different, but between the prices lays a gap as broad as from here to Singapore.

Have you checked all concerned cables, its connectors and the temperature sensors as I had suggested?

Hubert

Hi back,

what you're writing looks rather strange I'd say. You better get a voltage meter and check the TPS yourself. There's a very long thread under "How to" which deals with how to adjust the TPS properly. A reading of 36° sounds not very reasonable. I think a worn out TPS behaves differently.

In case you want to check a different one you should either ask yor dealer whether he could lend you one or instead you buy nearly the same TPS from Buell/HD. The charateristics are only slightly different, but between the prices lays a gap as broad as from here to Singapore.

Have you checked all concerned cables, its connectors and the temperature sensors as I had suggested?

Hubert

I don't think the Harley TPS will work in this case.. the TPS on Cal 1100i and i think this sport 1100 are of a different size and don't fit the space in the throttle body.

It does sound like your TPS is on the fritz... maybe you can pull it off and clean it?

I don't think the Harley TPS will work in this case.. the TPS on Cal 1100i and i think this sport 1100 are of a different size and don't fit the space in the throttle body.

That is incorrect, the Sport 1100i TPS is identical to the V11 one (as are all other parts of the TB assembly as far as I know). It is called PF3C and some have substituted it with a Harley PF4C. The Daytona/Centauro have a different type (PF09), maybe that is the same as a Cali.

Someone said the Harley P/N is 27271-95

I too would check both temperature sensors before doing anything else whatsoever.

That is incorrect, the Sport 1100i TPS is identical to the V11 one (as are all other parts of the TB assembly as far as I know). It is called PF3C and some have substituted it with a Harley PF4C. The Daytona/Centauro have a different type (PF09), maybe that is the same as a Cali.

Someone said the Harley P/N is 27271-95

I too would check both temperature sensors before doing anything else whatsoever.

Awesome... you can get the Harley tps FOR 32.00 FROM CHICAGOHARLEY.COM

Hi back,

Hubert

Yes Luhbo. I have checked all the connectors and even seen the TPS reading on the dealer's data anylser during tuning.At that time the tps reading is 3.2 degress and constant . Now it is inconsistent between 2.6 and 3.something....

How does a worn out tps behave then?