A winters ride

st. augustine

got a chance to get out a little just after christmas before new years....daughter and i took a 1400mi ride from St. Augsutine over to Alligator Point in the panhandle, drove the coast up to Pensacola, then up through Montgomery to the Barber Museum in Birmingham (where the staff took great care of us since we were the only ones who got there on bikes (riding in the rain while temp is 3 degrees C)). Returned down through Atlanta, etc. Here are some pics...(sorry, didn't ride the black knight since I am getting the Scura ECM reprogrammed)

011.JPG

012.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

026.JPG

got a chance to get out a little just after christmas before new years....daughter and i took a 1400mi ride from St. Augsutine over to Alligator Point in the panhandle, drove the coast up to Pensacola, then up through Montgomery to the Barber Museum in Birmingham (where the staff took great care of us since we were the only ones who got there on bikes (riding in the rain while temp is 3 degrees C)). Returned down through Atlanta, etc. Here are some pics...(sorry, didn't ride the black knight since I am getting the Scura ECM reprogrammed)

First af all a Happy New Year to you, St. Augustine, and thanks for sharing your pics :pic: Nothing better than having some quality time with your children :-)

No riding here in Denmark as it's bitterly, freezing cold with temperatures down to -9 Celcius. Can't wait till Spring!!

Cheers

Søren

No riding here in Denmark as it's bitterly, freezing cold with temperatures down to -9 Celcius. Can't wait till Spring!!

It was about - 2° celsius yesterday and I always take my bike out for a small ride to Brussels downtown: it's a mandatory motorised welcome to the new year for me :)

Now, the Barber museum has a Supertwin, can't blame that, but can someone explain to me WHY a purple's swingarm ?

Gee...Beauty is in the eye of the non-colorblind beholder :)

man....how old were you when you started riding 61 years ago? Did they even make trail 90's back then? I know we had them in New Mexico back in '71, they could climb any mesa around, nifty little buggers.

Isn't Barber the most amazing collection. It's almost too much to take in. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

You are right...here are some more pics for others who haven't had the opportunity to get there just yet. The only bike I didn't get to see, that I really wanted to see, was the 71 Harley Davidson 350 Sprint (made in Italy?). I rode mine across the USA when I was 16 with no windshield, etc. Only a helmet, bandana and a pair of sunglasses (not the fancy type of today). The staff said it was down below getting it's maintenance (they said there were another 450 motorcycles below, not on display).

N.B. I rode with my dad, who had a R65 BMW with fairing, etc. (he didn't get as cold as I did riding across the plains of Pecos Texas in the chill of the night).

004.JPG

014.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

thanks for the recognition and the points....it was either that one reference or 'Train to Birmingham' as done by Kieran Kane and Kevin Welch on their 'live in Melbourne' recording (http://www.deadreckoners.com/). It's funny, how when you ride with out intercoms (never tried it), you really get inside your head, you get your head around things, you get a song stuck in your mind and stays there and all the while the grim reaper reminds you to pay attention and live in the moment.....or else.

E _______________B

"I've been riding on this train

_____F#m_________A

Drinking whiskey for the pain just

E__________B______A

Another good ol' boy headed home

E_________B

And every town I see

_____F#m_______A

Seems to take a part of me

E______________B_______A

That's the price that you pay when you roam