00 V11 stall after brief idle

toguzziv11

I have a 00' V11 sport that has been in storage for approx. 18 months. It starts fine however will stall after approx. 30 seconds of idling - the stall is preceeded by a hissing sound on the right hand side of the bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Guest ratchethack

At what RPM is it stalling? If below ~1200, this would be expected until warmed up.

Have you tried using the idle advance on the left-hand bar until it's warm? (That's wot it's for.)

Just checking. ;)

As for the hissing sound --

Tire puncture? Eastern diamondback rattler? Back bacon on the griddle? :huh2:

I have a 00' V11 sport that has been in storage for approx. 18 months. It starts fine however will stall after approx. 30 seconds of idling - the stall is preceeded by a hissing sound on the right hand side of the bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Track down the hissing. Possible vacuum leak. Look for cracked T-body boot, loose fit from boot to t-body, broken hose or missing cap. Dribble some carburetor cleaner around the noise and listen for hissing to change and rpm change.

Careful with flammable spray around ignition wire and hot stuff. (that's why I said dribble) :homer:

Track down the hissing. Possible vacuum leak. Look for cracked T-body boot, loose fit from boot to t-body, broken hose or missing cap. Dribble some carburetor cleaner around the noise and listen for hissing to change and rpm change.

Careful with flammable spray around ignition wire and hot stuff. (that's why I said dribble) :homer:

Thanks - there was also a bit of smoke coming from the boot cover which I was chalking up to the bike having sat so long.

• 1 month later...

my bike is about 13,000 miles. A mate of mine said that it hasn't been broken in, hence it will not hold the idling unless warmed up. Something about the engine still being "tight". Load of bullock or half-truth or complete truth?

Thanks for the enlightenment ....

Guest ratchethack
my bike is about 13,000 miles. A mate of mine said that it hasn't been broken in, hence it will not hold the idling unless warmed up. Something about the engine still being "tight". Load of bullock or half-truth or complete truth?

Thanks for the enlightenment ....

He's right. Due to the "old fashioned" clearances of the air-cooled pushrod motor and cross-hatch pattern honing of nickasil bores on the V11, it takes more miles to break-in, as the rings fully seat. From 10K to ~20K miles, my motor would continue to gradually increase idle RPM as it loosened-up, and idle had to be cranked back down regularly. It also became noticeably quicker to spin up during these miles. If you set the idle at 1200 RPM, it should hold an idle once warmed up, even at 13K miles. Until warm, use the idle advance lever. If it won't hold an idle at 1200 when fully warm, there are other things you can do to decrease the probability of it dropping out. Have you set valves to World Spec (or better)? Set TB balance?