getting the shaft?

Antonio

I visited my local Triumph/Ducati dealer to inquire a tire change. the gentleman said there would be extra labor $$$ to deal with the shaft drive. I haven't yet removed the rear wheel myself, but it looks easier than dealing with a chain. Any thoughts? -thanks Anthony

Guest ratchethack

It's considerably easier (and quicker) to have a Guzzi rear wheel off and back on properly than any chain drive. I take it you've brought the dealer in question a tire you sourced elsewhere? In this case, the "extra labor" charge is your shop's way of telling you he doesn't want, or appreciate this business. The labor he charges won't put the tiniest divot in his overhead, and he may be factoring in the risk of breaking something he's never seen before. May I suggest a tiny, grubby little moto shop (the woods 'r full of 'em if you're a good hunter) with a guy standing in a pool of green Ru-glyde under his tire machine. Learn to get your own wheels off and back on properly, and bring them to him. He can source your tires of choice with 2-day shipping, mount & balance 'em "oven fresh" from the factory with a nominal markup, leveraging his discount, and can probably do it immediately on a "walk in & while you watch" basis (if you ask him when he prefers in advance), and will be more'n happy to go the extra mile to make sure he does a superb, "no marks" job -- and he'll do it with a smile and a welcome to come back again.

I've got a guy like that, who I've supported with tires for 2 moto's for 8 years. His shop is thriving, and we're both pleased to do business. You gotta like it when somebody like that succeeds. :thumbsup:

It's considerably easier (and quicker) to have a Guzzi rear wheel off and back on properly than any chain drive. I take it you've brought the dealer in question a tire you sourced elsewhere? In this case, the "extra labor" charge is your shop's way of telling you he doesn't want, or appreciate this business.

I see your point. Since the extra labor was mentioned with the impression that I would buy the tires from this dealership, I will drive the extra mile to the Guzzi dealer. As soon as I can get an Abba stand here in the states I will be following your advice about removing my own tires and search for a nice humble shop. thanks!

..... I haven't yet removed the rear wheel myself, but it looks easier than dealing with a chain. Any thoughts? ....

Make sure those noobs either do not completely pull out the rear axle or instead tie the cardan housing to the frame so it hangs there and will not fall down as soon as they pull out the wheel. Otherwise there's a good chance to have ruined the rubber bushings in the connecting rod fairly quick - in just one go :)

Hubert