my new block paint

Steve W

I don't suppose I can add a lot to this topic than what's been shared before, but I painted my gnarly looking '02 LeMans block over the weekend. Did the recommended thing, used the absurdly expensive Harley texture paint. It looks tons better, although the texture doesn't really match - the texture of the new paint is much finer than the stuff that remains. But, I was really sick of expaining "they all did that" to people who I was showing my new pride and joy too - so I shouldn't have to do that anymore. Even the guy who inspected it last week said 'is this thing running hot, or what?"

Before...

MotoGuzzi1241.jpg

After...

[newpaint1.jpg

Anyway, it was worth the trouble and $21 for paint. I removed the exhaust but nothing else, just masked pretty diligently. Probably used ~ 8 light dusting coats.

I think it looks 100% better. The only problem is now the engine looks better than the transmission. If you put a coat over the trans I wonder if it would look like a match.

The nice thing now is that it doesn't draw your attention to it anymore. I shined a halogen light on it for that picture to make some contrast show up - when you're not looking real critically at it, it appears reasonably uniform. Can't really tell from this picture, but it's good enough now where I don't feel the need to fiddle with that any more.

guzzi-1.jpg

Your first pick show some fuel staining on the lower trans from the TB shaft, the second pick it looks wet. Your not riding with an active fuel leak are you??

I would suck to ignite a fresh paint job. :doh:

Your first pick show some fuel staining on the lower trans from the TB shaft, the second pick it looks wet. Your not riding with an active fuel leak are you??

I would suck to ignite a fresh paint job. :doh:

Not to worry. I think it does leak a drop now and then out of the TB but it's not at a significant rate. The "wetness" in the 2nd pix isn't from gas, it's WD-40 residue if anything. The lighting & shadows did funny things to the picture...

did you strip the old paint first? how?

I did take most of it off. Primary tool was a needle scaler, a compressed air powered thing w/ a dozen metal "needles" that bounce back and forth. You can get them at harbor freight for $20 or so on sale. It does tend to bang up the block a little so you have to be careful - but the texture paint covers up all the little dings - and I figured roughing up the surface a bit would help the paint adhere. You wouldn't want to use it if you wanted to leave the block bare, I don't think. Also used screwdrivers as scrapers.

Anyway, it was worth the trouble and $21 for paint. I removed the exhaust but nothing else, just masked pretty diligently. Probably used ~ 8 light dusting coats.

BIG improvement there Steve. I think it was well worth your time.

I had trouble getting any texture with the Harley paint until someone told me that you have to spray it from at least a foot away. Once I did that mine matched the texture on the transmission very well. That paint tip (thanks Jason) and a couple pics of my results are here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...t=0#entry110415

:2c: Foto, if you give it a shot try and get as much of the old paint off as possible. I got most of it off with wire brushes and scrapers, but I can still see where I went over the old stuff with the Harley paint in some spots. It doesn't cover flaws as well as I expected.

spose the proper way would be to drop the motor out of the bike then? I want to ride so prolly not til next winter.

IMO yes you should drop the motor if you want it perfect, but don't bother if you just want it to look good from a couple feet away. I'm real happy with the way mine turned out, and I'm glad I didn't go through the hassle of dropping the motor. Nobody has mentioned the remaining bubbly paint since I repainted it. Prior to that nearly everyone who gave the bike a good look asked what was wrong with the engine paint.

That said, it can wait until winter! No need to miss any riding time because of cruddy engine paint.

IMO yes you should drop the motor if you want it perfect, but don't bother if you just want it to look good from a couple feet away. I'm real happy with the way mine turned out, and I'm glad I didn't go through the hassle of dropping the motor. Nobody has mentioned the remaining bubbly paint since I repainted it. Prior to that nearly everyone who gave the bike a good look asked what was wrong with the engine paint.

That said, it can wait until winter! No need to miss any riding time because of cruddy engine paint.

I mostly agree w/ Tom M - mine is now good enough so that the casual (and even slightly critical) observer would never take any note - it really doesn't need to be perfect. But more importantly - it now doesn't annoy me every time I look at it. Maybe I was being retentive, but the crappy appearance detracted from my enjoyment of the bike. So, in my case, it was worth giving up a little time now to deal with it, even if it did cost me a little riding time. But, that's me...

Good job Steve, looks great. I have to do this job in my future, it looks much more achievable to me seeing such good results without engine removal. I'll probably give this a try, maybe after the house painting is done....

At the risk of asking a question that has been asked before, is there a particular Harley paint to get, a part number maybe? Or is there basically one Harley engine paint so you can't go wrong?

At the risk of asking a question that has been asked before, is there a particular Harley paint to get, a part number maybe? Or is there basically one Harley engine paint so you can't go wrong?

Harley sells a black wrinkle (or crinkle) engine paint. AFAIK there is only one to choose from and like most Harley stuff it is overpriced. Works pretty well though.