Fuel pumps cracked

coz1100

got the bike put togather, wired and ready to roll. Put some gas in her to get her started, turn the key all is well. The knew dash lit up and everything. Hit the started and after a year and a half she started right up........ and then gas went everywhere. thought I might be a hose but I wasn't so lucky. it was the pump it self.

I was wondering if anyone had the specs for the fuel pump. I'm gonna see if I can track an aftermarket one.

Thanks

Z

Silly question maybe: your avatar looks like your LeMans had the pump already inside the tank. Or am I wrong?

Hubert

In the US all of the red & gray LeMans had external fuel pumps.

No worries Coz, glad to be of help.

It's just occurred to me though (whilst searching for info in another thread) that whilst it's great for someone to post a link to the answer, it's not so great when you discover (years down the track) that the answer is "404 Error - File Not Found".

So in the interests of maintaining the forum integrity for years to come, I'll re-post the most pertinent information here for future reference....

(1) For the uninitiated, specifications for this pump are essentially the same for all 1993 - 2003 models: nominal voltage is 12 volts, system pressure is 3.0 bar (43.5 psi), delivery quantity is 100 liters per hour (l/h), and power consumption is less than 6 amps at system pressure. Included in the design (and all fuel pumps) is a check valve, and this one has as well an overpressure valve which shot circuits if pressure rises above 5 bar. The pump's inlet nipple is a nominal 12mm and the outlet nipple measures a nominal 7mm; buying a pump with different size inlet/outlet as a stop-gap emergency repair starts a domino-effect of changing fuel line size, thus pressure ...not desirable.

(2) A subsequent search confirmed that Pierburg, a German firm [well known in Europe but relatively unknown in the U.S.] was in fact producing the Weber pump with the exact specifications I needed (sold currently as the Pierburg #7.21565.70.0 and formerly numbered #7.21565.50.0 and #7.21565.52.0). A call to Pierburg's U.S. importer (Mr. Craig Wolfe, Peachtree, George; 1-770-631-7500) promised the pump's availability from an auto import shop in north Chicago, but a call to that shop revealed they did not have the pump in stock.

(3) By now it was Tuesday, and hoping for a more local (and cheaper) source, other tantalizing clues emerged from the net; Volvo autos (with years and models!) linked to Pierburg numbers were found...and a local Guzzi owner with a '99 EV visited - his pump was mounted on the frame beneath the left side cover and the number was barely visible: Bosch #0580464048. A call next morning to a local Volkswagen shop and the Bosch was ordered with a promised next day delivery (indeed, it arrived on Thursday).

(4) After ordering the Bosch pump, I also called NAPA with the Bosch number in hand, and NAPA was immediately able to cross reference it to their proprietary "Carter/Federal #P72018" for $174.73, and a call to Auto-Zone revealed their proprietary "Master #E7334" (with a lifetime guarantee for $189.99) was also an exact replacement for the Bosch. [Can you say "1991 BMW 318 IC automobile w/1.8 L 4 fuel injected engine"?]

(4) The Bosch pump was installed, and the opportunity also used to replace the 8mm fuel line with fuel injection hose (Gates brand #SAE 30R9) which has a formula much more impervious to effects of heat and gasoline solvent breakdown than standard fuel line; I highly recommend it or a similar spec brand. Fuel line clamps were also used instead of U.S. style standard hose clamps, so as to avert line damage and provide more uniform connections. The gas filter was due for replacement, and was replaced as well (Bosch #F5005; other applicable fuel filters are: NAPA #3564; Car-Quest #86564; and NAPA #3008, which is slightly longer than the NAPA #3564).

There, now if the MGNOC web page goes down the information will be here to help the next generation of Guzzi owners...

Oh really now? Auto store prices you say? It wont be till next pay day that I can do much about it, but I will deffinitly call you guys up when the time comes.

It's also a shame that all bike stores in washington are closed on the same day. the days I'm off are the two days youre close....... cause thats a fun ride over the mountains.

Ciao

Z