Handle bar risers-another question

vtv11lemans

Planning a trip from Vermont to Utah and back. I've considered getting risers for my '02 LeMans but haven't yet. This is a good a time as any. I want to retain the stock clip-ons and hydraulics. I've read that if the risers stay within the range of 1.5 inches high and no more than an inch back, the stock hydraulics have enough play. I've read on a few postings regarding this subject, a dude calling himself Gargoyle mentioned a succesful conversion using Convertabars on an '04 LeMans. My question for him (should he read this) was the stock brake and clutch line retained. I tryed finding Convertabars on-line but to no avail. Anybody know the name of the company. Does anybody know of anybody who has a good riser kit that retains the stock handle bar and hydraulic lines.

I did come across risers sold by MPH but it appears they require replacement of the brake and clutch lines (they come with the kit). Because of that, I thought the kit was pricey ($400). Another posting by "fotoguzzi" showed his LeMans fitted with what looked like the MPH kit. If you should read this, is that the case and were the hydraulic lines replaced (I did see you put an xtension on the clutch side)? I also looked into Spieglers kit and am not interested in replacing my handlebars.

So if anybody is aware of such a kit for an '02 Lemans (or V11's with similars bars), let me know. Thanks. Leon from Vt.

I've read on a few postings regarding this subject, a dude calling himself Gargoyle mentioned a succesful conversion using Convertabars on an '04 LeMans. My question for him (should he read this) was the stock brake and clutch line retained. I tryed finding Convertabars on-line but to no avail. Anybody know the name of the company. Does anybody know of anybody who has a good riser kit that retains the stock handle bar and hydraulic lines.

So if anybody is aware of such a kit for an '02 Lemans (or V11's with similars bars), let me know. Thanks. Leon from Vt.

Greetings, I'm that dude! Here is a link for you. And yes I'm using all stock lines, no extensions and for me it put the bars right where they needed to be. I highly recommend them.

http://www.convertibars.com/ProductsBike.c...=+Next+Step%21+

I have the MPH risers on my '02. Yes, they require longer hydraulic lines but everything is included in the kit. IMO they look good and put the grips in a comfortable place. One added advantage is they place the grips about 2" further apart overall. There is a noticeable increase in leverage easing steering inputs.

:2c:

I like my MPH risers as well. Pretty straight forward install. Lines are included with the kit. k

I bought the MPH risers without the hydraulic lines and they work with the original hydraulics. I'm not sure how far up and back I've got the bars but it is certainly beyond what was specified above. The risers alone are about half the price of the full kit.

I bought the MPH risers without the hydraulic lines and they work with the original hydraulics. I'm not sure how far up and back I've got the bars but it is certainly beyond what was specified above. The risers alone are about half the price of the full kit.

I hope I'm using the "reply" correctly, screwed up the first time. Thanks for the input on the MPH's. I might try these. One question. Are there any clearence issues when handle bars are swung in the full lock position on either end. I noticed that there's significantly less handlebar clearence when swung under the support rod for the fairing. I'm assuming your LeMans has a stock fairing. Secondly, regarding the MPH extension bracket, roughly what is its rise (I'm guessing about two inches). It also appears that the handlebars can be rotated slightly aft (towards the back). Is that something you did to aleviate fairing clearence.

Thanks for your reply and to everybody else who replied.

I hope I'm using the "reply" correctly, screwed up the first time. Thanks for the input on the MPH's. I might try these. One question. Are there any clearence issues when handle bars are swung in the full lock position on either end. I noticed that there's significantly less handlebar clearence when swung under the support rod for the fairing. I'm assuming your LeMans has a stock fairing. Secondly, regarding the MPH extension bracket, roughly what is its rise (I'm guessing about two inches). It also appears that the handlebars can be rotated slightly aft (towards the back). Is that something you did to aleviate fairing clearence.

Thanks for your reply and to everybody else who replied.

You'll need to reshape the brackets holding the clutch and brake fluid reserviors slightly. Otherwise they will hit the faring support at full lock. No big deal.

I'd have to measure but I think 2" center to center is about right.

EDIT: it is about 2&1/2" center to center. I had no trouble with the throttle cable. With the risers tilted back a bit you get a nice combination of rise and pull back, still allowing fairing clearance.

While the MPH kit can be used without the clutch line on the Lemans, it is needed on the V11 Sport, which has a lower factory bar height.

I do wish the kit came with a longer throttle cable, the stock V11 cable is taxed to the limit with this kit.

Steve

I too have the MPH risers and replacement hydraulic lines on my Le Mans. I know you said you don't want to replace the original lines but these are a really good piece of kit. I cannot believe the difference it has made to my comfort on the bike (I'm 6'3"). The new lines look just like the stock stuff and most people don't even notice the risers unless I point them out. It all looks like factory fitment which I really like.

I ran the tape over mine and here are some measurements, I hope they help. The risers bring the bars up approx 2 1/4 inches. Brings them back around 1 1/8 inches. As Dan mentioned the bars also get spread wider, I agree with his comments that this is a a good thing. The measurement from bar end to bar end is now 30 inches (stock bar ends).

The risers are installed angled towards the rear, they are designed this way. There is no problem with clearing the fairing if they are installed this way. If you want I can take some detail pictures and post here, just let me know.

The risers are installed angled towards the rear, they are designed this way. There is no problem with clearing the fairing if they are installed this way. If you want I can take some detail pictures and post here, just let me know.

yes please the old back and shoulders ain't what they used to be. also did u buy them in bris-vegas :D

Maybe a web foul as I didn't follow the whole thread but just the same, I went with a set of Two Brother Racing risers and did not need re-cable/line the controls. Still fits within the fairing and gave a bit of lift and of course sweep and and angle all adjustable. :thumbsup:

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Instal...V3-RBR_Inst.pdf

Don't remember where I bought them but I am happy. Bar end weights were a bit of a challenge as nothing from the goose would transfer beyond controls and grips due to ID, missing threading, etc...

yes please the old back and shoulders ain't what they used to be. also did u buy them in bris-vegas :D

Here's a couple Gavo

004.jpg

Maybe a web foul as I didn't follow the whole thread but just the same, I went with a set of Two Brother Racing risers and did not need re-cable/line the controls. Still fits within the fairing and gave a bit of lift and of course sweep and and angle all adjustable. :thumbsup:

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Instal...V3-RBR_Inst.pdf

Don't remember where I bought them but I am happy. Bar end weights were a bit of a challenge as nothing from the goose would transfer beyond controls and grips due to ID, missing threading, etc...

Edge, I like the look of those better than the risers I have, do you have pics of your bike w/them beyond that diagram stuff??

and let me say the "EDGE" plastics you sent are great!

IMG_2206.jpg

OMG could it be that I'm actually starting to feel my age? At least I'm still not acting my age :D

No, I did not buy the risers here. As far as I know nobody in Australia stock them. Got them direct from MPH in the states.

OMG could it be that I'm actually starting to feel my age? At least I'm still not acting my age :D

Join the club Mark. Many here have a split personality: :oldgit::race: