Moto Spezial Tacho Installation

kecup

Hi Guys,

I am just trying to install Moto Spezial's Speedo/Tacho (see the link below) on my 97 1100i Sporti and would appreciate some input on the connectors - maybe some of you went through this before. I am particularly puzzled by (pardon my German transcription) "Lima grau" connector and "Programmierleitung violett" connector.

Any help is appreciated!

kecup

http://www.moto-spezial.de/deutsch/detail....%20%207615-9000

Hi Guys,

I am just trying to install Moto Spezial's Speedo/Tacho (see the link below) on my 97 1100i Sporti and would appreciate some input on the connectors - maybe some of you went through this before. I am particularly puzzled by (pardon my German transcription) "Lima grau" connector and "Programmierleitung violett" connector.

Any help is appreciated!

kecup

http://www.moto-spezial.de/deutsch/detail....%20%207615-9000

LiMa - Lichtmaschine -> Lima/grau = Alternator/gray

Programmierleitung violett -> Leitung = lead (Programming lead/connection?)

LiMa - Lichtmaschine -> Lima/grau = Alternator/gray

Programmierleitung violett -> Leitung = lead (Programming lead/connection?)

Thanks, that clear up things a bit:)

Kecup

well if you need more, ask, I have one too.

Thanks for help, I have three questions actually. One - when hooking the instrument, what one should be careful about? Given their spartan one page instructions it seems that one can not screw many things, but I do not think that's the case. Second - I understand there can be a switch hooked to this to use the manu instead of using an external magnet to do it, am I correct? If yes what kind of switch have you used for yours? Last one - the "programierleitung violett" connector, the programming wire - what exactly is this for?

Thanks again for help.

kecup

well carefull, nothing special.

programierleitung, not used in your case. Is interesting if you have the version with injection or ignition. Only thing it can be used for is to adjust the speedo ratio, if not correct. But then you need a small box with a serial connector on it too. Have to order that too, if you need it. But if you stated at your order the bike it is for and the configuration, then it should give the right reading.

On pin 13, there you can connect a switch, that on the other pole goes to ground. A switch that when pushed makes contact to ground. That has the same function as the magnet. Magnet isn't that usefull, since can't be operated when driving. You use it to change whats on the digital display

programierleitung, not used in your case. Is interesting if you have the version with injection or ignition. Only thing it can be used for is to adjust the speedo ratio, if not correct. But then you need a small box with a serial connector on it too. Have to order that too, if you need it. But if you stated at your order the bike it is for and the configuration, then it should give the right reading.

On pin 13, there you can connect a switch, that on the other pole goes to ground. A switch that when pushed makes contact to ground. That has the same function as the magnet. Magnet isn't that usefull, since can't be operated when driving. You use it to change whats on the digital display

I think the programming is correct since I'd tell them before what the bike is. Now all my questions are resolved. Thanks for help.

Pavel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got to install the tacho finally, still need to clear some things:

1. The RPM wire, which one is it? There are three wires going to the original RPM counter, which one is it that I connect to the Tacho? Or should I wire it different - straight from the ignition coils or spark plug wires?

2. The "lima grau wire" - that goes from the alternator - is this any wire that goes from to the original instruments? Or should I wire it straight from the alternator? Is this the wire that powers the tacho? If this is the case should I attach a fuse to it?

3. The wire from ignition switch - is this the wire that powers the tacho?

4. What should I do with all the unused wires that go to the original instruments? Just isolate them and let them be?

Thanks a lot for help!

Hi, I got to install the tacho finally, still need to clear some things:

1. The RPM wire, which one is it? There are three wires going to the original RPM counter, which one is it that I connect to the Tacho? Or should I wire it different - straight from the ignition coils or spark plug wires?

2. The "lima grau wire" - that goes from the alternator - is this any wire that goes from to the original instruments? Or should I wire it straight from the alternator? Is this the wire that powers the tacho? If this is the case should I attach a fuse to it?

3. The wire from ignition switch - is this the wire that powers the tacho?

4. What should I do with all the unused wires that go to the original instruments? Just isolate them and let them be?

Thanks a lot for help!

1. the rpm is yellow/black

2. if your dash has no alternator light, then there is no connection to make for that, then you can use tat light for anything else. If it has,,there is a (light) blue wire for the lima grau

3.yes, so one of the red/black wires can be used.

4.yes

It depends a bit on what instruments/ year you have later years have a different alternator/reflicter.

• 3 weeks later...
1. the rpm is yellow/black

2. if your dash has no alternator light, then there is no connection to make for that, then you can use tat light for anything else. If it has,,there is a (light) blue wire for the lima grau

3.yes, so one of the red/black wires can be used.

4.yes

It depends a bit on what instruments/ year you have later years have a different alternator/reflicter.

I have finally hooked the instrument today and it is up and running- very nice. I only have two problems, 1st: can not figure out the blinkers (did not have time to check this much since it was almost dark when I finished - seems the wires to the blinker idiot light are power - the instrument leds need ground wires from switches I guess)

2nd - the RPMs are too high - idle around 2800rpm (~1200 real) - it seems it reads twice as much as it should. I am shooting an email to Moto Spezial but maybe you know how to fix this.

Thanks again for help.

k.

I have finally hooked the instrument today and it is up and running- very nice. I only have two problems, 1st: can not figure out the blinkers (did not have time to check this much since it was almost dark when I finished - seems the wires to the blinker idiot light are power - the instrument leds need ground wires from switches I guess)

2nd - the RPMs are too high - idle around 2800rpm (~1200 real) - it seems it reads twice as much as it should. I am shooting an email to Moto Spezial but maybe you know how to fix this.

Thanks again for help.

k.

Figured out the RPM - I wired it straight from the green/ground wire on one of the induction coils and the RPM is correct now, seems like the yellow wire from the original RPM counter is sending too much signal on my type of bike. The blinkers are still a mystery. I've tried every possible combination of the connetions and no success, beginning to think that I must have fried the LED somewhere in the process. Overall the instrument looks and performs beautiful.

k.