Fork measurement

Greybeard

What would be the stock measurement of how far the fork tubes extend above the top clamp on my '03 please?

The stock setting is the top of the tubes are flush with the top of the clipon.

Thank you.

I think I'll need to speak with the former owner as each tube height is slightly different but both are 2-3mm above the clamp and both tubes are spun around so "Compression" and "Rebound" are upside down. <_>

I'm well aware that in and of themselves these are no concern, but exactly what went on here I'd like to know.

Maybe he just didn't like to read and ride. ;)

GB, there are a few variables. With stock wheels and tire size (180 rear); 12-13mm above the bars was nice on my 02. It did come flush stock though.

Thank you.

I think I'll need to speak with the former owner as each tube height is slightly different but both are 2-3mm above the clamp and both tubes are spun around so "Compression" and "Rebound" are upside down. <_>

I'm well aware that in and of themselves these are no concern, but exactly what went on here I'd like to know.

Maybe he just didn't like to read and ride. ;)

Well for the tubes being slightly above the clamps, he probably wanted a sportier riding position. As for the caps reading upside down, when you change the fork oil you have to pull the tubes off the bike. When he put the tubes back in he probably clamped everything in tight before he put the fresh fork fluid in & then put the caps on. Its an easy enough thing to change if it bothers you.

Theres a pinch bolt at the top on each side then two other pinch bolts lower down the front of the fork assy on each leg. Just loosen them up & turn the tubes. You may have to take the weight off the front wheel though, I'm not sure.

Well for the tubes being slightly above the clamps, he probably wanted a sportier riding position. As for the caps reading upside down, when you change the fork oil you have to pull the tubes off the bike. When he put the tubes back in he probably clamped everything in tight before he put the fresh fork fluid in & then put the caps on. Its an easy enough thing to change if it bothers you.

Theres a pinch bolt at the top on each side then two other pinch bolts lower down the front of the fork assy on each leg. Just loosen them up & turn the tubes. You may have to take the weight off the front wheel though, I'm not sure.

Yes, thanks Rich and others.

I didn't mean to imply that I'm inept.

I'm well aware of the whys & wherefores of suspension but that's not the point.

I should explain I bought this from a bike shop owner and I'm appalled at his lack of concern for detail.

One tube is higher than the other, why would anyone conciously spin both tubes around so the lettering is upside down (upside down forks...of course!) the rear fender was cut off with a Stihl 025 and other little niggles & burps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a protectionist at all. Cut the damn motorcycle in half if that pleases...but de-burr the edges and sweep up your swarf when you're done!

Thanks again I appreciate any and all responses.

Yes, thanks Rich and others.

I didn't mean to imply that I'm inept.

I'm well aware of the whys & wherefores of suspension but that's not the point.

I should explain I bought this from a bike shop owner and I'm appalled at his lack of concern for detail.

One tube is higher than the other, why would anyone conciously spin both tubes around so the lettering is upside down (upside down forks...of course!) the rear fender was cut off with a Stihl 025 and other little niggles & burps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a protectionist at all. Cut the damn motorcycle in half if that pleases...but de-burr the edges and sweep up your swarf when you're done!

Thanks again I appreciate any and all responses.

The guy didnt spin the tubes around after he had the caps on. What he did was put the tubes in, clamp them tight then he put the caps back on. I'm sure he figured it was easier to leave it that way than to loosen all the clamps & spin the tubes so that the lettering was right side up. If he didnt take the time to make sure both tubes were at the same height I would be going over that bike with a fine toothed comb. Check everything to be tight, valve clearance, fluid levels...everything.

you shouldn't spin tubes to get text right, the way they go on it's own is as it should be.

So since the fork caps are single lead thread the thing was screwed up from the setup then.

Dodgy.

They can go in any way I chose I reckon.