Neophyte question about fuses

d-rock

Hi. Bought my Rosso Mandello yesterday from a small garage in northern Switzerland. Rode it through a downpour for two hours to get back to Geneva.

Today, wouldn't start.

So took a risk, put it in third, and let it drift down a hill. It did start (had this trouble with my Ducati ST2 years ago).

Rode it around for a while, happy.

Then noticed the horn was not working, nor the headlights. Pulled over to fuel it up, and it wouldn't start AGAIN.

Got is started again, rode 2KM, then it died 2 blocks from my apartment.

Later, I saw that the 15 fuse (for the lights, I suppose) was blown.

So -- given that I know nothing about Moto Guzzis and very little about mechanics generally my first question is:

1. If one fuse is out, can that affect the rest, and the starter?

2. Give that the bike just passed the "state" inspection last week, I would assume this is something minor. Any thoughts?

Thanks and best wishes,

Drock (From Boston, but in Switzerland).

Welcome, Drock.

See thread from 2 weeks ago here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry161413

Hope this helps. :helmet:

Thanks for the reply. I started reading and I'm afraid I'm not among the class of people who remove tanks. It's all way over my head.

Perhaps I can simply ask: Can one blown fuse affect the bike's ability to start?

If the answer is yes, I'll go get some fuses and replace them. If the answer is no, I'll have the bike towed and fixed under warranty.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer.

drock.

Guest ratchethack
Thanks for the reply. I started reading and I'm afraid I'm not among the class of people who remove tanks. It's all way over my head.

Perhaps I can simply ask: Can one blown fuse affect the bike's ability to start?

Drock, the answer is YES. There's almost NO probability of having to remove the tank here, based on your symptoms so far. Per the thread at the link above, for starters, I would again advise use of ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER (not WD-40!) to drive out all possible water in the ignition switch. I would insert the straw attached to the spray nozzle directly into the ign. and give it a few good shots, alternately cycle the key, rotating from PARK to ON, (not START), and follow with a few shots of compressed air to clear the contacts if you can get access to comp. air. If not, you can get a can of compressed air and use this. Only THEN would I try the new fuses.

Good luck! :mg:

Drock, the answer is YES. There's almost NO probability of having to remove the tank here, based on your symptoms so far. Per the thread at the link above, for starters, I would again advise use of ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER (not WD-40!) to drive out all possible water in the ignition switch. I would insert the straw attached to the spray nozzle directly into the ign. and give it a few good shots, alternately cycle the key, rotating from PARK to ON, (not START), and follow with a few shots of compressed air to clear the contacts if you can get access to comp. air. If not, you can get a can of compressed air and use this. Only THEN would I try the new fuses.

Good luck! :mg:

Will do and most appreciated!

Exactly the kind of repair I can manage to perform on a city street corner.

Very best wishes.

drock.

Guest ratchethack
Will do and most appreciated!

Por nada, mi compadre. :sun:

You might need this.

FUSES, front to back:

1. ECU, 5A

2. Injector coil, pump, 10A

3. Battery recharge circuit, 30A

4. Key switch, 10A

5. High and low beams, horn, start, stop, 15A

6. Dipped headlights, 5A

7. Direction indicators, 5A

8. Solenoid valve, 5A

Here's to a happy start-up. :bier:

Por nada, mi compadre. :sun:

You might need this.

FUSES, front to back:

1. ECU, 5A

2. Injector coil, pump, 10A

3. Battery recharge circuit, 30A

4. Key switch, 10A

5. High and low beams, horn, start, stop, 15A

6. Dipped headlights, 5A

7. Direction indicators, 5A

8. Solenoid valve, 5A

Here's to a happy start-up. :bier:

Number 5 is the one that's definitely blown and now makes perfect sense given what I (didn't) experience.

I'll pick up a fuse and also the two cans with the spray and air. If this works, it'll be a very cheap solution and I'll certainly make a small "thank you" contribution to the Forum.

If not, I'll be back here to kvetch and lament my otherwise-perfect Multistrada!

Warmest wishes

d.

Don't forget to buy an extra fuse. If you have a spare, it will never break. If you don't, it's sure to burn out. That's a less published law of nature.

Another thing you can do - it's very easy- is make sure you have up-to-date relays (replace them if they are OEM "bosch" brand).

You can do a search on replacement relays and bet a bunch of articles, but here is one quick thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...placement+relay

Number 5 is the one that's definitely blown and now makes perfect sense given what I (didn't) experience.

I'll pick up a fuse and also the two cans with the spray and air. If this works, it'll be a very cheap solution and I'll certainly make a small "thank you" contribution to the Forum.

If not, I'll be back here to kvetch and lament my otherwise-perfect Multistrada!

Warmest wishes

d.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out I needed a whole new starter motor. Luckily it is still under warrantee from the garage so no charge. But I was shocked to hear the guy charging me 1300 swiss francs -- which is about $1000. Things are always more expensive here, but . . . wow. I'm a former Ducati owner, and while content to pay extra for the pleasure, there does come a point.

Anyway, the only problem now -- and I'll start reading other posts -- is that it is sluggish on the first throttle twist in a new gear. So into second, say, when I accelerate there is a momentary delay. The issue is that it leaps a bit when the engine kicks in. I don't know whether this inherent to the model or whether this can be adjusted. I love the engine, but I do want a smooth pull from the very beginning. I hope that isn't asking too much on the V11.

Turns out I needed a whole new starter motor. Luckily it is still under warrantee from the garage so no charge. But I was shocked to hear the guy charging me 1300 swiss francs -- which is about $1000. Things are always more expensive here, but . . . wow. I'm a former Ducati owner, and while content to pay extra for the pleasure, there does come a point.

Anyway, the only problem now -- and I'll start reading other posts -- is that it is sluggish on the first throttle twist in a new gear. So into second, say, when I accelerate there is a momentary delay. The issue is that it leaps a bit when the engine kicks in. I don't know whether this inherent to the model or whether this can be adjusted. I love the engine, but I do want a smooth pull from the very beginning. I hope that isn't asking too much on the V11.

Sounds like the throttle cable has a bit too much slack in it, simple adjustment makes a big difference.