Idle RPM

sullvarni

Just finished installing an oil pressure gage to my 2002 Le Mans and while i was at it i took the snorkles off the airbox, was going to do something more radical but after reading the forums on airbox mods i deci'ded to take the low road,so when i started her up i've got this eratic idle,"IE" 5.000 then down to 3.000 up to 4.000 "Blah Blah"what the Frig is going on?

I'm new to Guzzis but not motorcycles,i'm not what you would call a mechanic but have some limited knowlage but know bugger all about EFI,any ideas as to what might be going on throttle cables were moving freely.

Thanks Stu.

Guest ratchethack

Stu, that's one horrific idle swing! :o

You might have bumped something out o' whack when futzing around. Check to see if the throttle cable, throttle cam, or throttle sync rod might be hung up on something. Also check the idle advance mechanism to make sure it's clear, and operating properly. The cam should not be holding the cam follower wheel on the throttle body shaft open. The idle advance mechanism is under the right-hand intake in front of the throttle body. It's adjustable with a down-facing screw. The cam follower wheel should be capable of freely spinning at idle, and should just start to make contact with the idle advance cam as you start to advance the idle lever at the handlebar.

Good luck. :helmet:

EDIT: Also check that the throttle cam plate hasn't slipped the cable part way out of it's channel, holding it off idle.