Oil smoke on start-up

dark_bike

Yesterday I changed the gear box oil for the Redline shockproof stuff and went for a ride. I noticed upon startup that grey smoke was coming out of the exhausts (OMG). (I dont suppose there is a relationship between the two)

it stopped after a while, but the same happened again this morning...

also there seems to be oil weeping from the base of the left hand cylinder.

admittedly I have driven the bike rather hard last week and it was very hot too...but shouldnt it stand up to that? <_>

I read something here about a blocked engine breather forcing oil down valve guides, but it it is that shouldnt there be smoke all the time?

to me it seems like oil finds it way into the engine when it is not running, then burns when it runs and no more gets in when it is hot. any ideas?

a blown head gasket? a warped head? both? head bolts needing torquing down?...at least there are no nasty noises :huh:

the mind boggles...and the owner :vomit: because there seems to be no end to what goes wrong..in just under 5,000 miles the score is: 1 broken rear wheel bearing, a blown valve cover gasket, a blown oil pressure sensor, 2 starter circuit fuses blown for no apparent reason....and the bike hasnt even done 20,000 miles yet. all nothing major but annoying all the same. not what I'd expect on a low mileage bike..

cheers Tom

Guest ratchethack

Tom, don't panic. There are many possible explanations for "smoking" exhausts on startup. The 3 basic color choices are: White, blue, and black. It looks like we can eliminate blue (it's an obviously blue tinge, but if bad enough can have a yellow tinge also), and is accompanied by a distinct burning oil smell. In this case, you've got an oil burner. Looks like we can also elminate black (likewise obvious, accompanied by a carbon &/or fuel smell).

In your case, looks like this leaves us with white -- or grey, depending on light conditions, (which has no smell other than usual exhaust, and isn't "smoke" a-tall). This is typically observed in many climates and weather conditions where the bike is parked outside overnight, and is most noticeable after a change in the weather and/or temperature. It's water condensation from natural by-products of fuel combustion that forms inside the exhaust system and vaporizes with the heat of the exhaust at startup. It disappears 100% within a minute or so, and presents no concern wotsoever.

Hope this helps. :helmet:

Hi ratchet, I know what you mean, but it wasnt water vapour...too dense for that and it smelt of burnt oil...first time I noticed was yesterday afternoon when it was warm and very damp. also I had been riding the bike for about 25 miles.

This morning of course the engine was coldish but it defo was oil smoke coming out....tonight however when leaving work, there wasnt a whisp of smoke.. :huh:

is it character? I've been through some very characterful cars and bikes over the past two decades but this one takes some beating it seems

Tom

we'll see how things are tomorrow...

Guest ratchethack

HEEEEEFFFFFT! :o

If this oil burning suddenly started out o' the blue (so to speak), it could be a broken oil control ring. . . :(

OTOH, if you've been flogging it particularly hard lately with a higher-than-usual oil level in the sump, it could have blown some oil into the airbox thru the oil condenser, and is just burning it off. Just another possibility to check.

Good luck!

....I noticed upon startup that grey smoke was coming out of the exhausts (OMG). (I dont suppose there is a relationship between the two)

it stopped after a while, but the same happened again this morning...

Check for oil in your air box. If not I'd guess valve guide seals. Oil runs down the guides after shut down.

FWIU the factory guides are machined from a solid block of Parmesan and don't last long.

Guest ratchethack

I was shocked (well, more mildly surprised than shocked, really) many years back to find that there are no valve guide seals. The guides are naked. :o

With Parmesan guides, I reckon seals would just be silly anyway. :rolleyes:

Ride the darn thing. Once the valve guide wear gets bad enough to worry about it wont run anymore. Self-diagnostic. Most likely just sludge in the airbox.

I've yet to check the air box, but the smoking has stopped, so it seems that oil blown into the air box is indeed the culprit (touching wood with crossed fingers)- note: there doesnt seem to be a phew-that's-a-relief icon ;-)

maybe take it a bit easier on the throttle in future...though on motorways without speed restriction temptation to let those horses galop is hard to resist :P

I've yet to check the air box, but the smoking has stopped, so it seems that oil blown into the air box is indeed the culprit (touching wood with crossed fingers)- note: there doesnt seem to be a phew-that's-a-relief icon ;-)

maybe take it a bit easier on the throttle in future...though on motorways without speed restriction temptation to let those horses galop is hard to resist :P

Perhaps a roper slopper will help.

You are right, no phew wipe the brow icon. Just use the "all is well again in guzzidom" one: :race: