Injection control alternatives?

lemppari

I would like to know what alternatives do I have if I don't want a piggyback system? I remember vaguely seeing somekind of list here somewhere but couldn't find it anymore.

A few of the systems control also ignition. As I'm basically still a steam engine man, i.e. braker points and Dell'Ortos, I'd also like to know what advantages are there in being able to change the advance from linear as in centrifugal systems?

I'll have to correct the ECU mapping because of mods i'm going to do both to intake and exhaust and I'd like to keep things tidy under the saddle without too many components scattered around there, but if mastering both the injection and ignition turns out to be very complicated to perform without clear benefits, perhaps it's easiest done with a piggypack, PC III or some such?

I would like to know what alternatives do I have if I don't want a piggyback system? I remember vaguely seeing somekind of list here somewhere but couldn't find it anymore.

A few of the systems control also ignition. As I'm basically still a steam engine man, i.e. braker points and Dell'Ortos, I'd also like to know what advantages are there in being able to change the advance from linear as in centrifugal systems?

I'll have to correct the ECU mapping because of mods i'm going to do both to intake and exhaust and I'd like to keep things tidy under the saddle without too many components scattered around there, but if mastering both the injection and ignition turns out to be very complicated to perform without clear benefits, perhaps it's easiest done with a piggypack, PC III or some such?

Tuneboy. Or replace the entire ECU w/ a MyECU kit.

There was some other grossly overpriced alternative that nobody talks about anymore; it was supposedly started up by some ex-WM employees [so they had the inside line on how to circumvent the anti-tampering scheme Weber had set up?] and early on it was the only game in town, but they never realized they needed to drop the price as their competition matured. Que sera sera... :)

The advantage to being able to fine tune the advance has to do w/ the variables affecting the fuel/air density means that the same advance isn't best at all rpms & throttle openings. The ECU map offers more ways to fine tune the advance to suit conditions than a one-size-fits-some straight line advance. But Guzzi apparently never bothered sorting that out, so it's up to (us) experimentalists! ;)

Unfortunately, the "advance curve" module for the PCIII never materialized. The PCV ["pee cee five" not a pollution control valve] can do it all, but it's only for the ECU used on the latest generation ["Quotard" or CARC models] Guzzis.

MyECU. Fits in the stock location, full tuning - fuel and spark. If you build it it is cheap. Add wideband "auto" mapping if you like. Big thumbs up from me. Cliff also answers his emails. Another big plus.

Take a look here. http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/index.htm

Cliff also has set up a fourm.

I believe some of the european members here have had their stock ECU remapped by a tuner on your side of the pond. I don't remember what country or what shop it was, but maybe someone who's had it done will chime in.

edit: Forum sponsor TLM may be able to remap your ECU. Give them a call if nobody here speaks up.

I believe some of the european members here have had their stock ECU remapped by a tuner on your side of the pond. I don't remember what country or what shop it was, but maybe someone who's had it done will chime in.

edit: Forum sponsor TLM may be able to remap your ECU. Give them a call if nobody here speaks up.

I believe Dynotec (in Germany?) used to offer that service for a (ahem!) price. Not a particularly cost effective solution as I recall...

• 8 months later...

Well,after a lot of toing and froing I'm inclined to aquiring a Tuneboy so I don't have to mess with additional wiring and/or boxes.

It is illegal and punishable to mess with the mapping in Finland, even if you only want to get a more even torque curve, so adding another box besides the original is a sure giveaway. Much harder to prove that the original map is slightly altered when everything looks OEM.

...I'm inclined to aquiring a Tuneboy ....

TuneBoy is not working with WM15 ecus what means there are no diagnostics available for this ecu.

TuneEdit works but my experience is that you should really check what exactly this programm offers and how it works. It's still under developement I'd say.

Hubert

It is illegal and punishable to mess with the mapping in Finland, even if you only want to get a more even torque curve, so adding another box besides the original is a sure giveaway. Much harder to prove that the original map is slightly altered when everything looks OEM.

Then how about MyECU, I believe it fits into the original housing