Speedo - how should this work

df2

I have a broken speedo, most likely the cable. I've posted a picture showing the inside of the top of the L-connector, the cable, and upper left is what's coming out of the speedo, to see if anything is missing as the cable had come apart from the speedometer itself. Seems like a part should slip over the part coming off the speedo.

Here is how I believe it should work, but then again I am only guessing. The cable should spin, thus spinning the lower end of the L-connector, which in turn should spin the upper part, and finally spinning the connection to the speedo itself. Well none of that happens. Nor does the L-shaped connector spin anything in the upper part. Can someone describe how this should work, if the L-shape should have another piece on the upper part as I can't see how it connects to the speedo (nothing to grab over, or slide into the speedo itself. Any help much appreciated.

2419994740054253292TZhPXZ_th.jpg

Try it this way:

suggestionluhbov11speed.jpg

The KRs have to L-connectors, one down at the gearbox, one at the speedo.

And be careful! The thread (orange circle) is more than weak. It's not meant for the inpatient ones.

Hubert

Guest ratchethack

David, if you have a Veglia Borletti speedo like the one on my 2000 Sport, there's no "L-connector" on it. I guess the terminology throws me here. However, unless your fingers are blocking something important in the photo, it looks just like my setup. The square section cable-end should engage a square hole in the instrument.

If your setup is like mine, there's nothing missing there as far as I can tell. The cables are infamous for coming loose at the flimsy threaded plastic ribbed collar. It isn't any too secure, but if you have adequate clearance for the cable shroud, it shouldn't pull off when LIGHTLY threaded back on at the instrument head. Mine's so flimsy that it's hard to tell when it's threaded up all the way. It just keeps turning.

If the cable is broken, it should be pretty obvious. The broken part will pull straight out. :huh2:

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification, Hubert. The worm gear drive (L-connector) goes at the gearbox end. CAUTION: Under the worm gear drive is a small, thin, hardened steel washer. It can EASILY drop down into the gearbox and wreak havoc, unless it finds its way to the drain plug magnet first.

Hi guys, the part I'm holding is the L-shaped connection to the speedo. I have an MVP speedo, not the Veg. I haven't disconnected anything from the gearbox. Attached is a pic of what is attached to the gearbox, this attachment has a 45 degree angled connection, where the one in the previous photo is 90 degrees. Which honestly seems backwards. but again, the L-part that was attached to the speedo doesn't seem to have anything that fits up inside the speedo attachment.

But all this seems a bit moot as the cable doesn't seem to spin when I take it for a ride with everything disconnected. I've been somewhat timid about pulling on the cable and seeing if it comes out of the shroud. I guess that's next?

2531706100054253292onBqkq_th.jpg

Guest ratchethack

David, sorry about the above assumptions on my part. Can't help with a MVP speedo and 90-degree angle part.

In any case, you'll need a proper status on the integrity of the cable before it makes sense to tackle the instrument. Easily enough done. Grab it lightly with your finger tips and pull gently. If it's broken, it should come right out. If this isn't conclusive, and you think the instrument end could be hung up, as a final test (been there and done this) you can put the bike on a stand and start it in gear, watching for rotation of the cable end. It will turn very slowly at idle. Then try to grab and pull it out. Should be obvious by then if it's broken or not.

Hope this helps. :luigi:

David, sorry about the above assumptions on my part. Can't help with a MVP speedo and 90-degree angle part.

In any case, you'll need a proper status on the integrity of the cable before it makes sense to tackle the instrument. Easily enough done. Grab it lightly with your finger tips and pull gently. If it's broken, it should come right out. If this isn't conclusive, and you think the instrument end could be hung up, as a final test (been there and done this) you can put the bike on a stand and start it in gear, watching for rotation of the cable end. It will turn very slowly at idle. Then try to grab and pull it out. Should be obvious by then if it's broken or not.

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Thanks Ratch, no problem, I didn't offer up the info about it being a MVP. both you and hubert have given me some things to check which should confirm what the issue is. Besides every time you offer up information it gives me better insight into the v11 overall. That is much appreciated as I've had a lot of inquiries lately.

Cheers!

David

On the first picture it looks as if the cable is already pulled out too far for still getting driven from the gearbox side. But then, if your speedo just stopped working from one moment to the next, it is probably the inner cable. Such things happen.

Mine once died differently. It's been not the cable, the 45°worm drive at gearbox side had lost its teeth then. The reason was that I had clamped the whole cable assembly with the front strap of my tank bag. The inner cable survived btw., has seen a lot of kms in the meantime. Genuine Luigi quality :)

Hubert